Easter Egger lays white egg.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenlover80, Mar 10, 2014.

1. chickenlover80

chickenlover80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi everyone! I just have a quick question :)

I have 6 chickens. One White Leghorn, an, Austrlorp, two RIR, and two EE's. All of my chickens have been laying except my EE's. But the other day I got an egg that was REALLY small. And I think that it could be from one of the EE's. But it's white :/. My White Leghorn lays white but they are a LOT bigger. Any answers?

Thanks!
    -chickenlover80

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Your White Leghorn could have laid a wind egg (also called a fart egg, rooster egg etc), they are small eggs that usually do not have a yolk, they are fairly common in young layers or in birds starting or stopping a laying cycle, they also just happen occasionally. They are usually caused by a tiny piece of the reproductive system fooling the system into thinking it is a yolk and a shell etc is made around it. They usually aren't anything to worry about.
    Your Easter Egger could also be laying brown/white eggs, EEs are mixes and depending on the breeding, you could easily wind up with birds that do not carry the blue egg gene... I've had quite a few hatchery EEs that wound up laying brown eggs.

3. chickenlover80

Ok this helps a lot! Thank you! Should I crack it open and see if there is a yolk?

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    You can, or you can just save it :) You should be able to figure out if it was your EE either way, she should lay either more white eggs or lay green eggs sooner or later... if it was your leghorn, you shouldn't get anymore tiny white eggs (very occasionally some hen will lay more than one in a row, but it is very unusual).

5. Parismymare

Parismymare Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    EE's will lay any color. One of my freinds with a flock of those had pink, blue, white, and a occasional green. Each hen lays differnt colors. The leghorns do lay some small eggs when they start but if they have been laying for a wile then it is mostlikely not. If she has been laying for awile your more likly to get a double yolker. My Leghorns will lay for weeks on end and give me a double freqently. Your EE is probly laying white eggs

6. chickenlover80

I cracked it and there was no yoke :O

Ok thanks you for the great tips ;) Yea I have gotten a couple double yokers from my White Leghorn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by