Easter Egger legs vs. egg color?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickensducks&agoose, Sep 9, 2009.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 4 easter eggers, 3 look like regular brown and black birds, with greenish black legs, the white one has blue/slate legs.. does this mean anything in regards to final Egg color?

2. Mrs.ChickChick

Mrs.ChickChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    North central Illinois
    [​IMG] Hopefully some real experts will give their opinion. Doesn't have to be "scientific", I'd just like to know their experience.

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Most likely not. I don't see how egg color genetics have anything to do with leg color genetics. You can breed different colored legs into birds without changing egg color. All of my standard EE have the same color of legs but lay various shades. I'm not sure about my bantam EE yet since they have only laid 1 egg so far.

4. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    can you please post photos?

I love looking at EE

I have two that were sold as Americaunas.... who cares I love them.

One of mine has greenish legs and one has grey legs.... We need the expert... where is she?"

5. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

well, atm my 2 adult EE hens both have slate legs and when they lay, it is green eggs from both. My late EE hen who passed last year had the green legs and laid green eggs...so I dont think it matters about leg colour.

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    These are all young bantam EE
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v244/aqh88/chickens/EEs/bantam/
    Most I sold but I still have #11 which is the rooster of my bantam mutt flock and then pullets 4, 1, and 3.

My 3 standard EE are from a local hatchery and mostly look the same. One does have more obvious muffs and their combs aren't identical but otherwise they are the same color and size.
    [​IMG]

7. Bedste

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    they are wonderful. One of my girls looks just like the one in front.

Wow

8. Rootball

Rootball Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2009
    Western Colorado
    there is absolutely zero correlation. The genes are completely unrelated.

Araucanas for the most part have willow legs, Ameraucanas for the most part have slate legs, but even within both standards there are color varieties which have other colored legs.

The blue egg gene is a single gene and is dominant and can be found in any leg coloring. The brown egg genes which produce green eggs when covering blue eggs are many and more complicated (12 or 13 genes)

EEs from white egger crosses will lay bluer eggs.

9. Bedste

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    The BYC member who has helped me the most with my EE and Americauna Qs is pips&peeps

10. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by