1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Easter Egger mix

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WildHarmony8, Oct 20, 2016.

1. WildHarmony8

WildHarmony8 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2012
    Plant City, FL
    Could anyone help me with the sex of this EE mix? Up until a couple weeks ago I was sure it was a pullet, then it sprouted those 2 long tail feathers. 12 weeks old.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In the photo with all of the young EE mixes, it was much more evenly colored like a pullet would be, than the other black/white ones that I'm sure are roosters now. It also is smaller than the other roosters and is more built like a hen. But then those 2 darn tail feathers popped out! Thanks for any help.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm pretty sure that's a pullet.

EE especially seem to sprout those funky tail feathers as they're doing one of the juvenile molts around this age. Freaks folks out, but they're still ladies and they lose those feathers here soonly.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

4. WildHarmony8

WildHarmony8 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2012
    Plant City, FL
    Oh, thank you! It would be most awesome if it's a pullet, since I'm already sure 5 of the 9 chicks are roos, haha!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, you've got a few roos in that first pic. But I'm pretty sure this one is an egger, not a crower. She's very prettily marked, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by