Easter Egger...no comb?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KNelly, Dec 10, 2014.

1. KNelly

KNelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    I have two easter eggers that are 23 weeks old that have no comb. It's as flat as the top of its beak. Flat, smooth, and no raised parts. They are both sisters so their combs are exactly the same but I have a 3rd easter egger with a decent sized pea comb. She looks nothing like the other two in that department. Has it just not grown in yet? Or is the smooth top a type of comb? It's gotten slightly pink but no where close to being red. I feel really stupid right now for asking, but I'm pretty new to this and looking to learn more. TIA

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Has she laid an egg? I have a bantam like that, with no comb what-so-ever, but she is not laying even though she is nine months old.

3. KNelly

Sep 2, 2014
    Nope none of the sisters are laying but the other easter egger with the pea comb is. That's why I am curious...how do I tell they are getting close if they have no comb to check? Their faces are what's gotten a little pink.

4. Free Feather

If you live anywhere near me, she might not lay until Spring. If her vent is redder or "moist" looking she will lay soon, in a few weeks at the most.

5. KNelly

Sep 2, 2014
    I'm not expecting anything from them soon. My easter egger that is laying just started a little over a week ago and she was 30w. I'm just curious for future reference and also I've never seen one like theirs before...even when I google it.

6. Free Feather

My Penny was raised in a bad situation. She is a bit off. She has no comb at all, like she is wearing a swimmer's cap. It looks weird, actually.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Do you have a good pic?

8. TwistedFeathers

TwistedFeathers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2014
    New Zealand
    It could be a cushion comb. More raised up in roosters, also sometimes called walnut, though it's generally smooth, like someone stuck a blob of gum to their faces. On hens it is just flat,
    To the extent of my knowledge cushion combs appear when a pea comb is crossed with a rose comb, as a result of the different genes mixing.
    Have added a pic of one of my late hens with a cushion comb. Does it look anything like yours?

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by