Easter egger not eating much

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by seann, Nov 4, 2014.

1. seann

seann Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Hi.

My 11mo old hen (easter egger) hasn't been eating much for 4 days now. No eggs since then either, usually 1 every 2 days.
    My other 11mo old hens (RiR) are fine (eating like there's no tomorrow).

This EE is moving and perching and drinking. Her crop looks not empty.
    I'm not sure if it's egg bound or something wrong with her crop.

What seems to be the problem?

Thanks.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you wormed her lately? If not Valbazen and SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer are the better ones to use. Is she having any diarrhea, or standing around puffed up or hunched? Does her crop look big and puffy first thing in the morning, or big and hard like something is stuck in their. I would check her for being egg bound by inserting a finger 1-2 inches inside the vent rubber glove is optional.) I would give her some probiotics along with vitamins and electrolytes in her water (Rooster Booster Vitamins with electrolytes contains all 3.) Also offer her some scrambled egg to eat.

3. ladysmith

ladysmith Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2014
    I don't mean to steal your thread, but I am having the same problem with one of my easter Eggers. She is only 4 months though. She has been slow and puffed up for about 5 days. The weather has started to get a little cooler, close to freezing at night. I would love some recommendations. I will be heading into town tomorrow and could pop by the feed store to get her something, but I need to know what!
    Any suggestions would be wonderful.
    Maybe someone can help out booh our sick girls!
    Thanks.

4. seann

Dec 30, 2013
    I felt around her rear (not inserting any) and couldn't find any bump.
    Her crop feels big though.

Probiotic, vitamins, electrolytes.... where do I get them?

Wormed? no. Chickens need regular worming?
    Last I saw her poop is all liquid.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would treat her coccidiosis with Corid for 5-7 days. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder, per gallon of water, mixed new each day. Afterward give 3 days of probiotics and vitamins, plus a little chopped kale for vitamin K. Then I would worm her with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally, and repeat in 10 days.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is the crop big and puffy or hard? If it is big and puffy or squishy, it be sour crop, but also in coccidiosis, they can get a slow puffy crop. Coccidiosis signs are lethargy, puffing up, diarrhea (sometimes can have blood,) not eating, and ruffled feathers on neck. Treatment is Corid (amprollium) for 5-7 days. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder, per gallon of water, mixed new each day. Afterward give 3 days of probiotics and vitamins, plus a little chopped kale for vitamin K. Chickens usually have some worms from the ground. You can get a stool checked at the vet for worms and coccidiosis. Best wormers are Valbazen, then Safeguard Goat Wormer given directly by mouth to the chicken 1/2 ml once, then repeat in 10 days.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  7. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    could she have botulism? she may have eaten some moldy feed and not be feeling well. I would try giving her some plain yogurt and water with a little apple cider viniger in it. also, did your feed change?

Hope this helps!

8. seann

Dec 30, 2013
    Yes feed changed from mash to pellet but same brand/source.
    Feed is given by hand on ration, so it's not moldy.
    Crop feels squishy.
    EE looks around, makes sounds, walks, perches, sits and drinks -- just not eating.
    I separated her from others and now in garage.
    Put scrambled egg in a bowl but she's not eating (probably due to new environment/scared).
    I don't have any of those medicine at hand... sigh.
    How do I give medicine to her if she doesn't eat/drink. Maybe/hopefully she will soon.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does her breath smell bad or sour? Sour crop can be fungal or bacterial, and may result form the chicken having an impacted crop for awhile. It feels balloon-like and squishy with the bad odor. Here is some info to read about sour crop, coccidiosis, and worms:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html
    http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues.html
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html
    http://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/worming-chickens
    http://birdhealth.com.au/flockbirds/poultry/diseases/Worms.html

10. ladysmith

ladysmith Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2014
    Thank you very much for the info. Should I separate her? Would she be OK in the barn, it's not heated? Is there a chance of my other chickens getting it? I have 13 ameraucanas/easter eggers and 6 ISO browns & 1 rooster mutt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by