easter egger not laying any advice?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by boykin2010, Oct 26, 2010.

1. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    My easter egger hasnt laid for 11 days now. i keep track of how many eggs each of my layer hens lay because i can tell the difference in the eggs. it is especially noticeable when i dont get any blue eggs in almost 2 weeks. [​IMG] what has made the sudden stop in laying. she used to be a good layer and i got 3 to 5 eggs a week from her. i dont know what the problem is with her. the other hens seem to be slowing down in production too. any suggestions

2. kakayona

kakayona Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    Stratford
    Egg production has everything to do with light and the pituitary gland. Less light in fall/winter, less eggs. Every fall chickens go into a molt(lose they feathers and get new ones). They won't typically lay during this time. anywhere from a month to three. Older chickens may not lay till spring.

No worries.

3. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Kaykayona is right on.

All my chickens are molting and there is little sunlight. We are lucky if we get two eggs a week right now.

It's nature. Leave them be. The molting process is painful and the girls need all the good loving they can get from you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by