Easter egger, olive egger, marans, new hampshire HELP!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KTpoultry, Feb 4, 2017.

1. KTpoultry

KTpoultry New Egg

Jul 16, 2016
    Ok get ready. this is gonna be long.

I want to start a breeding flock. I have 1 australorp hen, 1 olive egger hen, and 3 chicks. I need help identifying the chicks. The dad was a new Hampshire/marans cross and the mom was also a new Hampshire/marans cross. They had 7 babies 5 were black 2 were red. What breed would they be called? would they qualify as an Easter egger because they are a marans cross? I know Easter eggers are just mixes and olive egger have to be some marans. If both of the parents are crosses, are they easter eggers? The mother hen looks like a black sex link but is a marans/ new hamp cross. I am so confused!

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Just plain mixes.

3. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    The chicks would be barnyard mixes that lay a shade of brown egg.

Typically, Easter Eggers carry the blue gene and lay a shade of blue or green egg.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Easter egger is a term for a bird that lays a blue or green egg. Not simply a term for any random mixed breed bird. So no, your chicks are not Easter eggers.

I think you're thinking of the Olive Eggers. Marans are crossed with blue eggers, to get a deeper shade of green. But crossing a Marans with another brown egger just gives you brown egger mixed breed birds. They may have a chance of laying a darker than average egg, but not blue or green.

Your chicks are barnyard mix. You know parentage enough to say they're Marans/New Hampshire mix, so that's what they are. They're not a breed, and they're not Easter eggers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by