Easter Egger or Ameraucana? Male or Female BPR?

Exotica

C'est La Vie
Aug 16, 2015
Baldwin Park, California
My Coop
My Coop
Hello! Hope you're having a wonderful day today and staying cool wherever you are :)

I'd like to start by saying that I'm completely new to poultry keeping and I'm amazed by how sweet this community is!
I am truly blessed to have stumbled here!

That being said, I'm sorry but I have two questions! My first is that I purchased a Barred Plymouth Rock chick from the
feed store 2 weeks ago (she is about 2.5 - 3 weeks currently) since I live in Southern California and we don't really have
any farms/breeders down here. Athena is starting to develop a little red in her comb! Does this mean "she" is a he?!
Here are some pictures of her:

I'll preface my second question by saying that the guy at the feed store messed up and originally I wanted four Australorp
chicks but he gave me four Black Sex Link's (the day he gave them to me I even googled the image of a Australorp chick and told him he got it wrong but he assured me that they were Australorps since I am inexperienced (little did he know I am obsessed with research and have researched for months prior to buying them). Anyway, I went with his word since I am new to this and the guy has been doing this for years? I do think he is the owner's son but he's there every time I go so I would think that he is experienced . Anyways, two weeks later and my "Australorps" are developing brown/black feathers (you guys were the one's that helped me figure out what breed they were! I posted in this forum yesterday/the day before). I fell in love with them anyway so I decided to keep them but I took back the aggressive one and he was glad to exchange her for a true Australorp (I made sure this time!!). I couldnt' resist and also picked up two "Ameraucana's." I asked him if he's sure they aren't Easter Eggers instead but he acted like he was insulted and told me they are Ameraucana's.. Now 1) it's a feed store so I highly doubt they are and 2) he messed up with a simple breed the first time. So please help me! I trust you guys way more than him!

^ This is Rebel. She seems like a EE because she has the muffs but not the beard. What does she look like to you?

^ Rebel once again. I tried to get a picture of under her neck to make it easier for you guys to see.

^ This is Bambi. I think she is an Ameraucana she has the muffs and beard but I could be wrong! What do you guys think?

One again, thank you so much for taking your time to read and possibly reply! You guys are the best! I'm so happy that I could have such great help from knowledgeable/wise poultry keepers! <3

The barred chick looks to have pink feet. If that's the case, she's a cuckoo Marans. That comb is still pretty tiny. It's a bit too early to be sure, but I'd say it's a pullet, for now.
The "Ameraucana" chicks are Easter Eggers. No feed store sells pure Ameraucana. They order their chicks from hatcheries. The only hatchery that sells pure Ameraucana is Meyer, and they only have Blue/Black/Splash. Rebel has quite a bit of comb development already, I suspect it's a cockerel.

First, you can't really blame the feed store guy for the EE/Ameraucana thing. He orders Ameraucanas, the hatchery ships them labeled Ameraucanas, as far as he's concerned that's what they are. Just cause he works at a feed store doesn't mean he gives a rip for chickens, either. He's basically a middle man for the chicks.

That said, I agree your barred bird could be a cuckoo Marans, which could be a nice score
smile.png
. I'd not jump to a cockerel conclusion yet. The dark color on the legs and the overall dark color lend themselves to pullet.

Your other two look like Easter eggers. I think it's too soon to sex them. Check out pictures of other EE though, and look at the triple row of peas on cockerels vs the single rows on pullets. That will be your best bet for sexing.

First, you can't really blame the feed store guy for the EE/Ameraucana thing. He orders Ameraucanas, the hatchery ships them labeled Ameraucanas, as far as he's concerned that's what they are. Just cause he works at a feed store doesn't mean he gives a rip for chickens, either. He's basically a middle man for the chicks.

That said, I agree your barred bird could be a cuckoo Marans, which could be a nice score :) . I'd not jump to a cockerel conclusion yet. The dark color on the legs and the overall dark color lend themselves to pullet.

Your other two look like Easter eggers. I think it's too soon to sex them. Check out pictures of other EE though, and look at the triple row of peas on cockerels vs the single rows on pullets. That will be your best bet for sexing.

Ditto!

The barred chick looks to have pink feet. If that's the case, she's a cuckoo Marans. That comb is still pretty tiny. It's a bit too early to be sure, but I'd say it's a pullet, for now.
The "Ameraucana" chicks are Easter Eggers. No feed store sells pure Ameraucana. They order their chicks from hatcheries. The only hatchery that sells pure Ameraucana is Meyer, and they only have Blue/Black/Splash. Rebel has quite a bit of comb development already, I suspect it's a cockerel.
^ Yes, she does have pink feet!! OMG! I'm crossing my fingers and hoping she's a Cuckoo Marans.. I'd love chocolate eggs!! What are other signs I could look for? Ahh should I go to the feed store and switch? I really cannot have a rooster on my property!

First, you can't really blame the feed store guy for the EE/Ameraucana thing. He orders Ameraucanas, the hatchery ships them labeled Ameraucanas, as far as he's concerned that's what they are. Just cause he works at a feed store doesn't mean he gives a rip for chickens, either. He's basically a middle man for the chicks.

That said, I agree your barred bird could be a cuckoo Marans, which could be a nice score
smile.png
. I'd not jump to a cockerel conclusion yet. The dark color on the legs and the overall dark color lend themselves to pullet.

^ I will apologize the next time I see him! I feel incredibly bad now for even questioning him ): Poor guy was just doing his job.
I hope she is a Cuckoo Marans.. I'd been eyeing them too for a while! This would be the best new ever!! What other signs can I look for to indicate that she is one?
I'll look up some pictures and if Rebel does look like a boy, I must take him back to exchange him sadly ):

Even if the chick is a cuckoo marans, it's eggs will be no darker than a barred rock. Hatcheries do not breed for quality or egg color. They breed for quantity and something that looks like the breed. Thetefore, the eggs will only be slightly darker than Normal Brown eggs.

As for the other two. The first one looks like a pullet based on color alone. It's a very very common color for EE pullets. Unless the color comes out blotchy with red shoulders, it's female.
The second appears to be a pullet as well.
So don't give up! EE cockerels tend to be black/blue/silver/white as chicks. So when pickingout pullets, go for brown.

This is an egg color scale I believe from the Marans club. Of course, the goal is an 8 or 9
wink.png
. I've heard a lot about how hatchery cuckoos don't lay a very dark eggs, but mine comes in at a good 4 at least. Not a "good" Marans color, but much darker than my Rocks, reds, sex links, etc.

The white/pink skin is your best indicator she's a Marans. As she matures, her pattern will also be subtly different than a barred Rock. The rate of feather growth on a cuckoo gives the barring a slightly messier look, the bars of white aren't as clear and crisp as on a barred Rock. Then again, when looking at hatchery barred Rocks, they sometimes have messy barring simply cause they're hatchery birds, so this is something that takes a while to develop an eye for.

This is one we hatched who turned into this:

Since she hatched from a light brown egg, and lays green/blue eggs, I'm assuming she's at least part easter egger.

Even if the chick is a cuckoo marans, it's eggs will be no darker than a barred rock. Hatcheries do not breed for quality or egg color. They breed for quantity and something that looks like the breed. Thetefore, the eggs will only be slightly darker than Normal Brown eggs.

As for the other two. The first one looks like a pullet based on color alone. It's a very very common color for EE pullets. Unless the color comes out blotchy with red shoulders, it's female.
The second appears to be a pullet as well.
So don't give up! EE cockerels tend to be black/blue/silver/white as chicks. So when pickingout pullets, go for brown.
Easter Egger cockerels can be brown as chicks, and pullets can be silver. Chick color is no indication of male or female.

The three chicks in the back are Easter Eggers. The one in the very back turned out to be a cockerel. He had the most comb early on.

Back
Top Bottom