Easter Egger or Barred Rock Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Slinkee, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Slinkee

Slinkee Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    I posted this under raising chicks earlier but I then realized I may get a better response here, so sorry for reposting but....

We placed an order for 5 RIR and 5 Easter Egger pullets that we received 1-10. They came packed with (supposedly) 5 barred rock roos. What I got was 5 RIR's, 2 chipmunks, one yellow, 1 brown and 6 seemingly identical barred rock roos with the exception of one of their head spots slightly, looking more of a V than a dot. I called the hatchery and made sure I was identifying them all properly and while the woman was skeptical they had shorted us an EE she agreed all evidence pointed that way and gave us a credit. Today they are 12 days old and all of the pullets are feathering nicely while the roos are just starting to get a few wing feathers...with the exception of the one with the odd shaped dot on its head. It has almost as many feathers as the other pullets but not quite, and definitely has the same pattern as the Barred rock roos. Silly question I'm sure but is it possible that this odd chick is actually an EE, a barred rock pullet or just another Barred rock roo who happens to be ahead of the curve lol? Any ideas?

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    pictures would help

3. Slinkee

Jan 20, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    In the process of chasing the little buggers about for a photo shoot. [​IMG]

4. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    Are you able to post pictures? What color are its legs? I am far from a chicken expert, but there are many people who will be able to help you. Welcome to BYC!

5. Slinkee

Jan 20, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Here are a few photos of the one that seems to be feathering way ahead of it's brothers. It looks identical aside from its headspot and I know it's really too early to tell but I'm just curious if anyone could offer any insight on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Slinkee

Jan 20, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    I only ask because I've read that generally the pullets will feather before the roos. :)

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's a barred rock, not an easter egger.

I'm leaning toward pullet, but pics at 3-4 weeks would confirm.

8. Slinkee

Jan 20, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Thanks for posting that's sort of where I was leaning, can't wait till they're old enough to be sure I'll be excited if we still have the 10 hens we wanted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by