Easter egger or???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by newhenintown, Nov 22, 2016.

1. newhenintown

newhenintown Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2016
    Hayden, Al
    Im hoping someone can help. About 2 months ago I bought what I was told was 6 Easter egger chicks. All of them look like Easter eggers except for this youngin right here. Im a first time chicken owner so I only know what I've researched. He/she looks like a barred rock cross because its color/pattern but it has ear tufts so that's confusing me a bit. Any ideas on breed(s)? Oh and if anyone has thought on whether its a roo or hen that would be great too. I haven't figured out the whole sexing chickens thing yet so right now im just waiting on some cock-a-doodle doos lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Could very well be an Easter Egger mix. With that single comb, it's not likely to have the gene for blue egg shells. And most definitely a cockerel.

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    x2

4. newhenintown

Nov 22, 2016
    Hayden, Al

Thank you. Im sure its a mix I was just wondering if anyone knew with what and egg color doesn't really matter but since its more then likely a roo I guess it really doesn't matter lol. Its just so much bigger then all its siblings. You can tell by looking at the little EE roosting beside it in the 2nd pic.

5. newhenintown

Nov 22, 2016
    Hayden, Al
    Anyone wanna take a guess?

6. ECSandCCFS

ECSandCCFS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    Agree with what was said. If you want us to sex your other EEs you can post individual pics and we can give it a try.

7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I hatched a nearly identical one that was from my Easter Egger/Barred Rock crosses.
    [​IMG]
    But since your boy has white skin, I'm betting there is Cuckoo Marans in your's, instead of Barred Rock.

8. newhenintown

Nov 22, 2016
    Hayden, Al

I will try to do that tomorrow. They've all headed in for the night.

9. newhenintown

Nov 22, 2016
    Hayden, Al
    Looks just like my Rosco! Does yours have ear tufts too? And this is a crazy question but im new so, how can you tell what color their skin is other then obviously looking under their feathers?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  10. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Yes, that guy had muffs. Tufts is a different thing, altogether. Skin color is easiest to see in the legs, and sometimes the beak. All the chicks in that pic had the same parents.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by