Easter Egger Personalities

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sean_wonder, Feb 27, 2019.

1. sean_wonder

sean_wonder Songster

Jul 9, 2016
    My Coop
    I've heard many a tale of flighty EEs. Some were plain mean, and some weren't so keen on being touched no matter what. Now, as a person who's first flock will be entirely pets, I'd really enjoy a group of ladies who are friendly and allow me to handle them on occasion. I respect I can't force any animal to like being handled, but I would enjoy my animals being comfortable enough to do the adorable things some do as choosing to hop on one's shoulder while working in the coop, or simply eating from my hand and not running away from me every time I come too close. The problem is, I want my first flock to be just a few Easter Eggers, as they're one of my favorite breeds and I love their random feather colors. I would ideally raise five or six ladies from chicks, no more. So, to soothe my worries, I was hoping to find some owners with experience in the Easter Egger field. What are their personalities like?

2. A_Fowl_Guy

A_Fowl_Guy Pig Whisperer

May 4, 2014
    Newberry, Indiana
  3. BrandonVercnocke

BrandonVercnocke Songster

Jul 31, 2018
    Longview, Washington
    I have one Easter egger. She is very friendly. She is usually the first one to jump on my shoulder. And she lays a really pretty mossy colored egg.

Attached Files:

4. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    I have a pair of younger ones I got from Rural King this past spring. About the flightiest girls I've ever owned, bar Leghorns.

My older girls I bought as started pullets two years ago are much calmer, but still a bit flighty. The bigger one is one of my boss hens and has calmed down some since reaching that status.

The first Easter Egger I ever owned I bought as a chick (RK let me buy one chick, once I explained I had a broody hen with one chick) and she was a friendly little bugger right from the start. As a chick, she'd run right onto my hand to be picked up.

So a mixed bag, all in all.

5. Chirehe

Chirehe Chirping

Jul 29, 2018
    Arkansas
    My roo is an Easter Egger and he’s very even tempered, he’s never once tried to attack and will let me hold him, I also have 6 EE (Barred Rock x EE) that I hatched that seem to be well tempered, the pullet is definitely the most flighty though so maybe it’s just a hen thing lol

6. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    Mine are very nice. One of them loves to hop on my lap every time I sit down. I have one that is flighty only when I try to catch her. Otherwise she is a sweetheart.
    I have 4.

7. Ohio peepers

Ohio peepers Chirping

Aug 25, 2018
    We have two EE, flighty girls but nice girls. One lays light blue, the other olive green. They are smaller but heavy birds, just less fluff I guess! One is white the other brown ish red. Very pretty!

8. sean_wonder

sean_wonder Songster

Jul 9, 2016
    My Coop
    Sooo cute. Would love to see the egg if you get a chance!

9. sean_wonder

sean_wonder Songster

Jul 9, 2016
    My Coop
    That seems to be what I’m hearing! Rather thankful to hear that despite being generally spooky, they’re still cuddly birds. There is definitely a fox or two in our neighborhood, as well as plenty of hawks. In that case, I suppose the flightyness is a great thing, so long as it’s not always directed toward people :)

10. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    My EEs are always the first to sound the alarm. They are extremely alert compared to the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: