1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Easter Egger - Pullet or Cockeral?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chicks Galore3, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Pullet

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Cockeral

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    This little gioy is 16 1/2 weeks -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

S/he and my current rooster (A BO) (Who she grew up with.) Have never really gotten along - and she has started doing something he does - Flaps and puffs up and stands on tip-toes, especially when I am there. But my other BO has begun doing this, and I am pretty sure she's a she. You can see that Merri (EE in question) has a rusty/brown red on her wings, chest, and a little on the rump. I know red is usually a male EE thing. (I don't know if it is red enough or in the right spots.) Her/his comb isn't very red or big, though.

2. chickenluver555

chickenluver555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Virginia
    PLEASE READ: ( i know its long, I just have a lot of info to tell you )

My EE's flap and puff all the time and they are all girls. Males and females act about the same at this age, so don't rely on the attitude as a way to determine gender. Yours looks like a pullet to me cuz her comb is small and pale. Check her neck feathers. Lift one up by your finger and see if it is round or pointed at the bottom. Round=female Pointed=male.
    I just noticed its feet. They are yellowish, and I remember someone telling me that roo EE's have yellower feet.
    Do the wings have a redish tint to them? I can't tell very well in the pics. If so, it is most likely a rooster.
    I have also heard people say that black and white EE's usually turn out to be roos. I have a black and white one that is a girl, but she has much different coloring. She is more of a brownish black. Also, all this uneven coloring yours has is a sign of male too. But, it is somewhat older and its comb is not large looking yet. Can you get a side view?

Here is a few pics of some 15 week old Easter Egger pullets. maybe you can compare them?

[​IMG] Female

[​IMG] Almost no comb, blue feet, and even coloring throughout. This is the black and white one I mentioned before.

[​IMG] Blue feet

[​IMG] This is a female. Her neck feathers look pointy, but that is just the coloring. They are actually rounded at the bottom when getting a closer look.

[​IMG] She has red coloring on her chest but it is evenly spread throughout and it isn't that dark of a red.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Chicks Galore- from the patterning, your bird is a female. Males of this color have a different pattern.

Please ignore those who say black and white EE are boys. That's been going around lately but honestly there is nothing about black and white genetics that would make it impossible to get black and white girls.

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2

I have never heard anyone say roos have yellower feet than pullet. Dont relie on that.

5. angel8035

angel8035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Applegate, California
    Looks like a pullet. Where do you all get such beautiful EEs? I see so many lovely patterns and mine always turn out the same old brown color.

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Hatcheries have been coming up with some really interesting and unique color patterns latley.

7. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa

8. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Thank you everybody who replied! I am hoping that, if she does turn out to be a male, I'll be able to keep her.

9. I voted pullet my EE rooster had a large comb at that age and was more colorful this is him today:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by