Easter egger / Pullet or cockerel?

Krugerrand

Crowing
Apr 17, 2020
SW Pennsylvania
This beauty is 9-weeks old. Snagged from the TSC Easter Egger straight run bin. I'm thinking pullet because of the single row comb. I appreciate your thoughts, as I'm only allowed hens by local ordinance.

IMG_20210602_190100_866.jpg

IMG_20210602_190113_863.jpg

IMG_20210602_190103_613.jpg

IMG_20210602_182009_111.jpg

Black sex link pullet
She's a black sex link pullet, not an easter egger. Expect brown eggs from this one.

It's certainly possible that it came in wrong from the hatchery. The local TSC did not have any black sex link's in stock at the time, so the mix-up could not have been there. Looking at their web description, it sure seems possible.

What is identifying it for you? Comb / coloring / lack of puffy cheeks? The comb and cheeks did not seem to line up with pictures of easter eggers, so I was already suspicious of a mix-up. I did see some with similar coloring, but it does not seem common. Since they both seem like 'mutt' breeds, I'm not sure what characteristics identify them.

I'm already worried that my silkie might be a cockerel, so it's a great relief that everybody is saying pullet!

Thanks.

It's certainly possible that it came in wrong from the hatchery. The local TSC did not have any black sex link's in stock at the time, so the mix-up could not have been there. Looking at their web description, it sure seems possible.

What is identifying it for you? Comb / coloring / lack of puffy cheeks? The comb and cheeks did not seem to line up with pictures of easter eggers, so I was already suspicious of a mix-up. I did see some with similar coloring, but it does not seem common. Since they both seem like 'mutt' breeds, I'm not sure what characteristics identify them.

I'm already worried that my silkie might be a cockerel, so it's a great relief that everybody is saying pullet!

Thanks.
Well, she ticks all the boxes for a black sex link...
I can't say that she does or doesn't tick the boxes for an easter egger, since they can look like anything. I'm more inclined to say BSL than EE on this one though.
The likelihood that your TSC had BSL in stock, sold down to the last couple and threw them in with the EE is also very possible. Who's gonna know?

Also, when I say that EE can look like anything.... they can have muffs and beard, or not. Literally any comb type and leg color. Feathered legs, or not. Crests, or not. They're a mix, so they can look like anything.

Thanks.
Well, she ticks all the boxes for a black sex link...
I can't say that she does or doesn't tick the boxes for an easter egger, since they can look like anything. I'm more inclined to say BSL than EE on this one though.
The likelihood that your TSC had BSL in stock, sold down to the last couple and threw them in with the EE is also very possible. Who's gonna know?

Also, when I say that EE can look like anything.... they can have muffs and beard, or not. Literally any comb type and leg color. Feathered legs, or not. Crests, or not. They're a mix, so they can look like anything.
Hatchery EEs are usually Easter egger x Easter egger crosses, which means they do generally have the typical EE traits. Of course, with recessive genes and all the new EE hybrids hatcheries are breeding, she could be an EE. It’s just more likely that she’s a BSL.

Back
Top Bottom