Easter Egger, Question regarding about the size of egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Backyardchickenlover89, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Backyardchickenlover89

Backyardchickenlover89 Chirping

Dec 16, 2018
    Hey
    I have a Black Easter Egger and it laid four small eggs the past 2 weeks, my question is the egg is small right now will the egg get bigger because my chicken isn’t growing anymore? or will this egg stay small and is it ediable
    I’m new to owning backyard chickens I’ve had my chick since she was about one week old and currently she’s about 7 months

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The eggs will increase in size in the weeks ahead.

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  3. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Yes the eggs she has given you thus far are edible

4. Backyardchickenlover89

Dec 16, 2018
    But she’s not a big breed I believe she’s a miniature breed, she’s a black hen and her eggs size difference is not something I would want to eat

Attached Files:

Stepnout likes this.
  5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Could you post a picture of your girl? Is she a bantam? That would explain the small eggs. Where'd you get her from? Why won't you eat her eggs? You could always cook them and she'd LOVE them as treats ... But not all at once.

Better Than Rubies likes this.
  6. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Easter Eggers tend to be smaller bodied/lighter built birds. Your border *could* he a bantam, but many people are thrown off at the difference between lighter breeds when comparing them to heavier standard breeds.
    Have you seen a leghorn hen.....very small, lightly built birds, they produce some of the largest eggs. In chicken breeds, being a bigger/heavier bird does not = bigger eggs, often it's the opposite.

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  7. fire370

fire370 Songster

May 9, 2015
    SC Kansas
    I’m curious of why you don’t want to eat them?

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  8. Backyardchickenlover89

Dec 16, 2018
    My chick is like a family member so maybe adding it isn’t my thing but I’m probably gonna give it to a friend who’s got the stomach to eat it, unfortunately my rooster is growing slowly but surely is a month old, so too young to fertilize it

9. Backyardchickenlover89

Dec 16, 2018
    I taught the bigger they were the bigger the egg, thanks for teaching me a new thing :’)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: