Easter Egger quit laying

Jld13

Songster
Apr 12, 2021
My EE is 26 weeks old and started laying at 20 weeks. I have three hens (all the same age and came home together), EE, silvered laced Wyandotte and GSL. The GSL lays daily, SLW almost daily and the EE stopped laying 9 days ago. Everyone is healthy, eats drinks good. There is not a hidden nest. She does go to her favorite nesting box daily around the same time, but nothing comes out?

Attachments

• D0F4AEC1-B511-4274-B25F-011AAD8B9CDA.jpeg
    D0F4AEC1-B511-4274-B25F-011AAD8B9CDA.jpeg
    714 KB · Views: 21
What do you feed them?

Sometimes chickens stop laying to get ready for winter.
More than half my (laying) chickens stopped laying a few weeks ago. They are getting ready to molt, but your hen is too young to molt. So I assume she is just saving energy for the cold weather.
If not, check her vent to see if she might be egg bound (egg stuck in vent). In that case, you might not have much time left for her to live. If she hasn't been walking weird/limping, then I don't think she's egg bound.

New layers can be erratic with laying, so her hormones might be fluctuating where there isn't quite enough to get her to keep laying but she still has some of the habits of a layer.

As long as she's active and acting normal, eating normally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom