Easter Egger Roo

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lesia, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Lesia

Lesia Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2013
    NC
    I ordered 3 Easter Eggers pullets, of course one of them turned out to be a roo. The three of them looked the same until about 14 weeks, then all of a sudden one started to grow tail, comb and all together got huge. So now I had 13 girls and 4 crazy ( straight run) bantam roosters + one EE rooster. Two of the most beatifull bantam boys had to go, they were attacking my kids, me and everything around them. I'm not sure I'm allowed to have any roosters in my neighbourhood, however since recent " chicken movement" nobody says anything... I'll leave one, but which one? I'd like to keep my EE as he is a full size bird like 10/13 of my hens. However, I have doubts he is capable to do his job: I'd like to have chicks one day. He is 20 weeks old today, looks like almost full grown roo, but scared of even a silkie hen. He doesn't even try to crow yet, just starting to feed his girls. I did see him "mounting" on a smallest hen only, while those bantams have been after girls since 10 weeks, yelling non stop. Obviously he is supper docile, thats a big plus, I'm just not sure he's a REAL roo! Are EE Roosters slow to develop? Is he going to turn aggresive once those bantam roos are gone? Is he worth keeping?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] He's worth keeping. At 20 weeks he is still a kid - somewhat intimidated by the mature hens and the apparently more aggressive bantam roosters. Will he turn aggressive after the bantam roosters are gone? Maybe, maybe not - only time can answer that question.

3. dwalters

dwalters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    My EE roo was shy at first. He does his job now he's almost two! Very calm and gentle though. Not a mean bone in him!

4. Lesia

Lesia Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2013
    NC
    [​IMG]

Thank you. His name is Silver - I have high hopes for him

5. dwalters

dwalters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    Mine is Rudy. He doesn't pay any attention to my bantam roos either. Could care less

6. Lesia

Lesia Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2013
    NC
    The two other boys are an aggressive Sicilian Buttercup aka "Princess" and my son's favourite nice size black Cornish aka "Roadrunner". Its a tough decision, they all are my babies.

7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    [​IMG]

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I think Silver will blossom once the bully bantam roos move out. He is a larger bird but, doesn't realize it. Bantam roos don't realize they are small - they seem to have Chihuahua syndrome and go after the biggies.

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you in our flock!! Good luck and best wishes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by