Easter Egger rooster characteristics?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wsmoak, Aug 5, 2010.

1. wsmoak

wsmoak Chillin' With My Peeps

So... I think I've learned that Easter Eggers don't grow large combs and wattles the way barred rock and buff orpingtons do.

Can anyone confirm?

I got a bunch of chicks back in April, three barred rock, four buff orpington, and hey why not, we'll take a chance on the easter egger and see if it's a girl. I thought it was... just a little red comb and no dangly wattles or anything. But it was always big and confident, not chasing the others but not backing down either. Suspicious, but I didn't have anything to compare it to.

This week, I heard the most awful sound, like a cat was being strangled! Since I *do* have cats, I went out to see what was going on. And the EE stretched out its neck and... RRRRRRRrrrrrrrgggghhhhh. Darn it all, I was hoping for pretty blue green eggs!

Here "he' is... http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4854883293/

I
    don't really *need* three roosters, but he's beautiful. [​IMG] I made a flyer to put up in town, we'll see how long I last with three of them crowing at daybreak. And mid-morning. And all afternoon.

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Yeah, that appears to be a cockerel. See those shiny, pointy feathers across his back and in his tail? That's some of the things to look for when trying to tell the difference.

3. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Roo all the way [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by