Easter Egger Rooster?

Tun1e

In the Brooder
May 29, 2020
Hello Everyone,

This is my first year raising chickens, I have wanted some for a while now to have the fresh eggs and I love watching them. I have three easter eggers and I am starting to think that one of them is a rooster. I was hoping that someone with more experience could tell me. The other chickens don't have such a red or large comb. I don't mind if it does turn out to be a rooster, I was just expecting all hens. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
EE1.jpg
EE2.jpg
EE3.jpg
EE4.jpg

MGG

🙄🤚
Premium Feather Member
Feb 7, 2020
Hello Everyone,

This is my first year raising chickens, I have wanted some for a while now to have the fresh eggs and I love watching them. I have three easter eggers and I am starting to think that one of them is a rooster. I was hoping that someone with more experience could tell me. The other chickens don't have such a red or large comb. I don't mind if it does turn out to be a rooster, I was just expecting all hens. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
View attachment 2166354 View attachment 2166355 View attachment 2166356 View attachment 2166357
Yup, cockerel. The hackle and saddle feathers give him away.

dmvelez

Songster
6 Years
Oct 15, 2014
Des Moines, IA
Yes. I agree. Even in breeds like this with small combs, when you compare the two his is larger and redder. I‘m no expert, but I’ve found myself learning the hard way. It’s not practical for me to have roosters since I have close neighbors, but I’ve made the same discovery you have way too many times! In my opinion, though, you picked the right breed if we’ll take the liberty of calling it a breed. Ok type?? 😊 I’ve had quite a few different varieties and I’m settling on them as the friendliest, quietest chickens of all I’ve had! They are small and lay huge eggs relative to their size. Hopefully you can watch your little flock ‘expand’ now.

WhoDatChick

Enabler
Sep 6, 2018
Nawlins, Louisiana
Yes. I agree. Even in breeds like this with small combs, when you compare the two his is larger and redder. I‘m no expert, but I’ve found myself learning the hard way. It’s not practical for me to have roosters since I have close neighbors, but I’ve made the same discovery you have way too many times! In my opinion, though, you picked the right breed if we’ll take the liberty of calling it a breed. Ok type?? 😊 I’ve had quite a few different varieties and I’m settling on them as the friendliest, quietest chickens of all I’ve had! They are small and lay huge eggs relative to their size. Hopefully you can watch your little flock ‘expand’ now.
Yes.. this!! AND don’t forget.... they are the most reliable layers! Mine are anyway.. and I have a lot of different breeds... oh, and bonus... blue and green eggs :love

Top Bottom