Easter egger rooster?

Justusrick

Hatching
Mar 28, 2022
Hello friends, I am new to the backyard chicken community, but excited to be here!

I had some bad luck last year and ended up with 4 roosters that I had to get rid of due to neighbor complaints.

Therefore, I need some help sexing 3 Easter eggers that I recently got from a local feed store. They are 4 weeks old and I believe I have 2 hens and 1 potential rooster.

I have attached a picture of all 3 and another picture of the chick that I believe is a rooster.

He/she has a pea comb with 3 rows when the other two seem to have 1 row. He/she is also the only one that is really displaying rooster-like behaviors. His/her tail feathers also seem to stick up more.

Helping to confirm this will allow me to get ahead on finding him a new home so thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 2E307117-39D3-48AC-AAA4-70D7F454025D.jpeg
    2E307117-39D3-48AC-AAA4-70D7F454025D.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 68C60FA7-A686-411D-AC8D-D894843B5140.jpeg
    68C60FA7-A686-411D-AC8D-D894843B5140.jpeg
    374.8 KB · Views: 41
Number of rows in pea comb doesn't mean anything in the sexing. Pea combs are much more tricky than single combs, you usually have to wait to 6-8 weeks old. Sometimes you won't be sure untill they grow out hackles.
It has a more developed comb but I don't see it so reddish, I'd tell you to wait few weeks more.

Hello friends, I am new to the backyard chicken community, but excited to be here!

I had some bad luck last year and ended up with 4 roosters that I had to get rid of due to neighbor complaints.

Therefore, I need some help sexing 3 Easter eggers that I recently got from a local feed store. They are 4 weeks old and I believe I have 2 hens and 1 potential rooster.

I have attached a picture of all 3 and another picture of the chick that I believe is a rooster.

He/she has a pea comb with 3 rows when the other two seem to have 1 row. He/she is also the only one that is really displaying rooster-like behaviors. His/her tail feathers also seem to stick up more.

Helping to confirm this will allow me to get ahead on finding him a new home so thank you in advance!
I would say at this point, the one you are thinking is a boy is a strong suspect for being a boy but they are tough to ID this young! To me what makes it suspect is the width of the comb at that age—in the pic of all three the one on my right facing the camera has a very thin comb and looks much more female in comparison. Not a hard and fast rule, but cues to pay attention to :) Cuties though! 😍

I agree with you. SO FAR it’s looking like you have 2 girls.

Back
Top Bottom