Easter Egger Rooster

pikecochickens

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 1, 2012
Hi everyone,

I have a 4 month old Easter Egger rooster. We have had him and one Easter Egger hen since they were a day old. They have been handled a lot, cared for and gotten plenty of love and attention over the months and the rooster is my favorite, but I think his personality is starting to become a little more aggressive. He was walking kind of toward me and sideways with one wing down. It is my understanding that can be considered agressive behavior. Are Easter Eggers typically agressive birds and what can I do to discourage this behavior before he grows spurs?!?! I would like to keep him because even at such a young age, he had already spotted a hawk in our yard one day and he led the hen quickly back to their covered chicken yard. I really like him, but I don't know that I want to be running for my life everytime I go down to the chicken yard either. :/ My mom told me a while back that he was going to break my heart one day. ha!

When my EE roo does this to me I just chase after him a few steps then continue what I'm doing. Also giving "plenty of love and attention" to a roo is not always a good thing as it can cause aggression rather than prevent it.

Yep, he just is showing you how sexy he is.
lau.gif

I gave a cockerel (Chicken is his name) to a friend for a house warming gift a couple of years ago. He is a lovely looking bird and is fantastic with his hens and chicks. 100% free range and manages to protect his flock from the feral cats and Ravens.
I handle all my birds everyday and have done with every bird I've had. They enjoy gettting their crops, combs and wattles scratched. Chicken is always the sweetest cockerel with me and in my presence but will full on attack everyone else.
Most people kick him and others just run away. I did have an attacking cock but he got better withme picking him up everyday and carrying him around for a while and giving him scratches. He would still rush at me if I picked up an objecting hen or a chick but never attacked so to speak.
He always attacks (I think he's just doing his sexy-dance from how she's described it) my friends girlfriend so I bought her a water pistol to defend herself with. It works a treat. I would always recommend regular handling over anything else though.

It is the beginning of aggressive behavior. The next step will be hackle flaring followed by flogging. Get a short handled fish net and scoop him up the next time he gets cocky. You may be able to rehabilitate him or he may become worse. Sometimes Moms are right.

Thanks everyone! Phineus is a handsome man and I guess he knows it. ha! I will keep a close eye on him. The idea about the fishing net made me laugh, but I will probably give it a try if he really does start to get aggressive with me.

Love it! haha! So far, Phineus is just dancing, but if he gets too aggessive, he is going to get the "net!"

Back
Top Bottom