Easter Egger sex question

leokat75

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 24, 2008
OK, I have two EE's that are about 8 weeks old. I was confident they are both hens until lately.

They now have a noticeable difference in the comb size. This has been a fairly fool proof way to tell them apart by this age with other breeds in the past, but from what I see the EE's can have some variance in comb size. I assume from the mutt factor. ALSO since even the cockerels of this breed really don't get the "jowls" (can't remember the right word), the lack or presence of those isn't helping.

So I guess my question is, have many of you who have EE's had a few hens with more pronounced combs?

I will try to pen he/she down tonight for a photo op and see if you guys can determine whether she might be a he. I also want to get a better side by side with the two of them to see if there is noticeable difference in the spur development area.

Thanks
Kat

My EE roos combs are more pronounces in the center, at 8 wks was easy to tell what was what, or who was who. The center row stands up higher and the comb is more red in color.

All of my EE's with raised, 3 rowed, and pinkish combs early on (5 weeks) turned out to be roos, the ones with yellow, flat, single row combs turned out to be pullets. In my limited experience, spur development at that young of an age doesn't mean a whole lot. Would love to see some pictures though, it's easier to tell when we can see feather coloration!

Back
Top Bottom