Easter Egger Sexing Help - 8 week update

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by corgis-con-chickems, Jun 10, 2019.

1. corgis-con-chickems

corgis-con-chickems Chirping

May 10, 2019
    St. Augustine, FL
    I posted my flock a few weeks ago, at 5 weeks (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/easter-egger-sexing-help-5-weeks.1310643/) wondering if at 8 weeks it is any clearer to the BYC community on what sex these easter egger chickens are becoming!

We are in process of building our flock of 6 a larger coop and run. They are honestly very good chickens and will come to me (even if I don't have food). Most are very tame and welcome being picked up or petted (exception being my probable Roo, Bacon, straight up beakhole).

As always, thank you all for your input! BYC is the best!

Piglet -- my sweetest and biggest easter egger, I still think that Piglet might be a hen based solely on personality and the comb never get significantly darker. But this coloring is similar to the one I think is probably a rooster (Bacon) pictured below.
    piglet 8 weeks IMG_0841.jpg piglet 8 weeks IMG_0838.jpg

Toast -- the smallest chicken and last to feather. She recently got neck feathers and her chest came out red! Probably a hen?
    toast 8 weeks IMG_0851.jpg toast 8 weeks IMG_0847.jpg toast 8 weeks IMG_0852.jpg

Bacon -- the chicken who is the best at dodging me / generally good at being a "beakhole" (my sister's word for unruly birds) -- I still think this is going to be a rooster. The brightest comb of all 4 easter eggers. No crows yet. Thankfully!
    bacon 8 weeks IMG_0853.jpg bacon 8 weeks IMG_0854.jpg bacon 8 weeks IMG_0857.jpg

Hamhock -- the prettiest bird who is most likely to jump into my arms for their afternoon chicken treats. I read that easter eggers can be sexed on coloring, but I couldn't find the post. Probable hen?
    hamhock 8 weeks IMG_0863.jpg hamhock 8 weeks IMG_0869.jpg hamhock 8 weeks IMG_0868.jpg

drumstick diva and chrissynemetz like this.
  2. piyo piyo

piyo piyo Chirping

May 6, 2019
    Yup. I think you're correct on that cockerel. I don't think they can be sexed by pattern or color though

corgis-con-chickems likes this.
  3. corgis-con-chickems

May 10, 2019
    St. Augustine, FL
    Good to know!

4. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Free Ranging

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    I'm thinking yes...bacon is a cockerel.
    Can you get some standing side shots of the others? If you can get them to hold still long enough lol

anderstr196 likes this.
  5. corgis-con-chickems

May 10, 2019
    St. Augustine, FL
    I can definitely try tomorrow if there's no rain. Teach me -- what are you looking for from a side view?

Today was a huge success with ALL of them willing to be picked up and somewhat pose. I have them getting used to posing with a corn cob lure on a chair. Now to pose and PIVOT!

chrissynemetz likes this.
  6. chrissynemetz

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    Long pointy saddle feathers... if they have them it means it's a cockerel. Also rust coloring on the shoulders can mean cockerel :)

anderstr196 likes this.
  7. cstephens1987

cstephens1987 Songster

Apr 25, 2019
    Carroll county, Maryland
    Yeah but these are still a bit too young for saddle feathers

8. chrissynemetz

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    @cstephens1987 true... they are only 8 weeks aren't they. No male feathering yet

drumstick diva and cstephens1987 like this.
  9. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    Actually, there are male and female specific feather patterns that can occur in EE. Can I see side standing shots of Piglet, Hamhock and Toast? They're likely pullets, but something about Piglet makes me think cockerel. I'd like to see the wings to confirm.

Agree though, Bacon is definitely a cockerel.

10. corgis-con-chickems

May 10, 2019
    St. Augustine, FL
    Oh! Great tip! Thank you! We shall see what they look like in another few weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: