Easter Egger Trouble!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HollyG, Jun 30, 2016.

1. HollyG

HollyG New Egg

May 25, 2011
    My one Easter Egger hen just started laying eggs but any other eggs that maybe in the nesting box she knocks out onto the floor and they break. How can I stop this from happening???

2. Chickenmanjim7

Chickenmanjim7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2015
    Aberdeen, Washington
    deep bedding. Make a 1-2 inch lip on the front of your nesting boxes

3. HollyG

HollyG New Egg

May 25, 2011
    Thank you!!!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    3-4" lip on front of nest.
    They can get pretty rambunctious at first with arranging the nest bedding, they'll settle down after a couple weeks.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Try collecting the eggs twice a day...She disposes of the other hens eggs to leave her own egg.
    Some hens are real brats...

6. aldarita

aldarita Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Brenham TX
    I began having this problem when I added more chickens to my flock. When the new pullets started to lay, they pushed the other hens eggs out of the nesting box so i had to put a lip outside of the boxes and fill it up with hay, problem solved. The eggs don't break.

[​IMG]

Maybe this setting will give you an idea of how to add the lip to the boxes, I don't know how your nesting boxes are placed in your coop but I believe you can adapt the concept to any box.
    It is good to pick up the eggs more than once a day so the pullets don't get any ideas when they see the eggs outside of the nests.

GOOD LUCK !!!!

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Would have been much simpler to just put the front of that trough on the front of the nests.

8. aldarita

aldarita Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Brenham TX
    I already had the 2 x 4 at the bottom as a tep for the hens to get in the nesting boxes, all I had to do is add the 2 x 4 in the front and the 2 pieces on each end.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by