1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Easter Egger vs. Ameraucana laying abilities

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bock, Dec 17, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I have heard that EE's generally don't lay very well. I was curious if true Ameraucanas lay any better? Also, what is the egg color difference? Are Ameraucana eggs more blue? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Our EE's are super layers..at least 5 days a week and large eggs...all of mine lay pretty mint to blue eggs.Our Ameraucana's- wheaten,bbs,white,and silver all lay less often and smaller eggs than my EE flock.As for egg color not all Ameraucana's are better than EE's some colors lay very green..actually we have very few that are more blue than the EE's are and all well bred Ameraucana's but I also have very nice EE not hatchery stock and we have bred them for egg color hardiness and laying ability.
    Because EE are a cross breed it's all in what the crosses are to make them.

3. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    All the EE's I've ever owned have been great layers, most of them lay about everyday.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  4. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    mine layes every day, out in the culvert under my drive way. darn chicken is too good to lay in the coop like the rest of the girls [​IMG]

5. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Wow! I was expecting the complete opposite! That's good to know. I will certainly be getting some EEs. I was even thinking the other day about crossing an Ameraucana with a leghorn or an RIR. You would probably get some good layers! [​IMG]

6. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Hopefully not in the middle. [​IMG]

7. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Quote:My EEs lay pretty well. Not quite as well as my GSLs, but at least 5 day a week. I have one that lays a very light, small, blue egg and another that lays a large, pink egg. They've been very dependable.

8. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    My EE lays just about every day.

9. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I have 2 ee's . It took them a bit longer to get started but I can count on an egg almost every day. I get at least a dozen blue eggs every week.

10. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    i'm in.almost every day for my ee's....
    My Americaunas are not old enought to lay yet so no comparison.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by