Easter Egger Wheezing/hee-hawing.. gapeworm????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JuicyFatHead, Sep 29, 2011.

1. JuicyFatHead

JuicyFatHead Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    WNC
    Hello... just today one of my hens started heeeeee--hawwww... over and over again. It's pretty loud. She's been doing it for maybe two hours. It took me forever to figure out what it was (we have a lot of crows/magpies here).

I haven't been able to catch her.

I gave them some egg shells this morning.. but they weren't as finely crushed as usual.. could a piece be lodged in her throat?

We have ducks also.. first time duck owners. They share a tremendous penned in area, which they are only in at night.. free range during the day. We have separate feeders/waterers.. but they tend to share. Could this be linked?

She is about 5 months old. Hasn't started laying yet (my flock of EEs are the same age and none have laid yet.. but my 6 month olds have been laying prolific amounts).

Any ideas??? If it is a gapeworm... can I order de-wormer form the vet? I'm in a tiny bush town.. I'd have to have it flown in. Maybe this is a sign she is highly infected?

I'm going to go check on her again. Thanks to all!

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Has there been a lot of dust? Waht is there bedding?[​IMG]

3. JuicyFatHead

Apr 3, 2011
    WNC
    No, no dust at all. It rains a LOT here. So, pretty wet. The fenced/netted area is sawdust (thick like wood chips though). [​IMG]

4. JuicyFatHead

Apr 3, 2011
    WNC
    My husband just reminded me that we have found a few thin shelled eggs on the coop floor.. basically no shell... we've never had those before. It would obviously have to be one the hens that are laying now.. but wonder if this correlates?

She is hiding now under the coop, wheezing... occasionally 'sneezes.' Definitely full of energy though.. she's too fast to catch.

5. JuicyFatHead

Apr 3, 2011
    WNC
    Here is a video. She sounds just like this. (this isn't my chicken)

I guess copy/paste this?

6. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

If you are using sawdust that is why. It will get into there nostrils and make them sneeze.[​IMG] I would change bedding to something else, there are a lot of threads on BYC on bedding.[​IMG]

7. JuicyFatHead

Apr 3, 2011
    WNC
    Guess I never thought of that! It's the only thing that makes sense right now anyway. Thanks so much for your input! [​IMG] Hopefully it will be gone soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by