Easter Egger & White Leghorn cross

shelbylewis

Songster
Jun 3, 2018
SJ New Jersey
I need to buy some baby chicks to raise with my one lone chick. A farm near me has easter egger and white leghorn crosses. The dad was the Easter Egger, anyone have any experience with this cross? Can you post pics? I worry about the leghorn as I have heard they are not the friendliest.

That's a nice cross! You should get colored eggs of large size and they should be prolific layers as well. I have an ameraucana/brown leghorn cross. She's a sweet bird that lays a pretty blue egg. Depending on the heritage of the EE sire you could get pale blue or green eggs, but even a light brown is possible.

I found my mother's leghorns to be ill tempered, but that was back in the late 70s/early 80s. All chickens are individuals and you have good and bad birds in every breed (though I have yet to come across or hear of an ill-tempered araucana).

Here is a pic of my Lucky:
20171201_205058.jpg
LF.jpg

I need to buy some baby chicks to raise with my one lone chick. A farm near me has easter egger and white leghorn crosses. The dad was the Easter Egger, anyone have any experience with this cross? Can you post pics? I worry about the leghorn as I have heard they are not the friendliest.

I have 2 LHs. They were not hand raised. I purchased them as pullets. They were running around wild on a farm free ranging. They had to be caught with a net.
After 2 months with me, they let me touch them and one of them follows me around like a puppy and is very sweet.

That's a nice cross! You should get colored eggs of large size and they should be prolific layers as well. I have an ameraucana/brown leghorn cross. She's a sweet bird that lays a pretty blue egg. Depending on the heritage of the EE sire you could get pale blue or green eggs, but even a light brown is possible.

I found my mother's leghorns to be ill tempered, but that was back in the late 70s/early 80s. All chickens are individuals and you have good and bad birds in every breed (though I have yet to come across or hear of an ill-tempered araucana).

Here is a pic of my Lucky:
View attachment 1603297 View attachment 1603298
Oh great! Glad to hear that :)
Lucky is so beautiful! I’m excited now

I have some young leghorn crosses running around right now. The dad was half Americana and half bantam game. He had babies with my Silver leghorns. All are very friendly, and are absolutely gorgeous. One or two are somewhat small so those particular individuals are taking after their granddaddy.

I love the breed combo, just wish grandad was regular size game instead of bantam. They were born a few months ago so none laying yet, but I expect them to be good layers. Also with the Game fowl and Leghorn blood they are VERY good survivors.

A hawk swooped in the other day and didn't have a chance, those gamy little birds instantly disappeared. Games and Leghorns are going to be the most predator resistant chickens you can find.

What color leghorn? Hope its brown as that will be a truely beautiful bird. If their white then it will depend on how the genes work out. But they should lay very well either way. Handle them allot if you want them to be tame. Your kids will be a big help in that regard.

I have some young leghorn crosses running around right now. The dad was half Americana and half bantam game. He had babies with my Silver leghorns. All are very friendly, and are absolutely gorgeous. One or two are somewhat small so those particular individuals are taking after their granddaddy.

I love the breed combo, just wish grandad was regular size game instead of bantam. They were born a few months ago so none laying yet, but I expect them to be good layers. Also with the Game fowl and Leghorn blood they are VERY good survivors.

A hawk swooped in the other day and didn't have a chance, those gamy little birds instantly disappeared. Games and Leghorns are going to be the most predator resistant chickens you can find.

What color leghorn? Hope its brown as that will be a truely beautiful bird. If their white then it will depend on how the genes work out. But they should lay very well either way. Handle them allot if you want them to be tame. Your kids will be a big help in that regard.
Thank you for replying! I actually went back to the same farm I got my Silver Laced Wyandottes from because the woman vaccinates and sexes the chicks so it was a safer bet for me considering I can’t have more than one rooster, my luck I would get more and become attached and then have to give them away! I appreciate all of your information for future reference! I am sure I will acquire many more chicken breeds lol

Back
Top Bottom