Easter Egger with crooked neck/humpback now with bulging eyes and lethargic

aeve

Hatching
Jun 22, 2021
I have a 4 month old Easter Egger that about 2 and half weeks ago I noticed had her necked crooked to one side and sort of a hump to one side. I thought it was wry neck and started treating with selenium and vitamin E paste. About a week and a half doing that with no improvement I noticed feeling around her neck that her spine is crooked around the base where it meets her body. She is able to eat, drink, preen and run around with my other hens. So I started searching and found that it probably wasn't wry neck and that it was probably like a scoliosis/roach back deformity. I stopped treating with selenium paste. A few days ago I noticed her eyes start bulging and have a yellow tint around them. I tried finding info on that with no luck really other than spinal deformities can press on the spinal cord causing issues in the brain. Today she is lethargic and I'm not sure what to do. I've brought her in and have been giving her vitamin/electrolyte water with a dropper. Any help is much appreciated as I have only owned chickens for a year and this is my first time with a sick one.
Amelia crook.jpg
Amelia no feathers.jpg
Amelia eye 2.jpg
Amelia eye.jpg

I have attached pictures of her from a week and a half ago showing how she holds her head to one side(not the best one) and that she has no feathers growing where the spine crooks.
The other two pictures are of her eyes today.

Can you get some better photos of the eyes?
Has she had any symptoms of coughing, sneezing, mucous from the nostrils?

In the last photo, the eye looks it may have swelling due to pus. Possibly respiratory infection. Can you open the eye, flush it out and see if there's pus?

Sorry to hear she's got a deformity.

Thank you for the reply. These should be better. She has not had any of those symptoms. I did notice as the day went on yesterday that she wouldn't open her right eye and it started secreting a clear liquid with a yellowish tint. This morning that eye was crusted shut and the other had a little crust around it. I think you can see in the pictures. I'm not seeing pus really.

201085020_165916965518096_6708815889597729277_n.jpg
199500653_1132836697203843_3510755955056579425_n.jpg
197677857_785023892176814_1109046304872606423_n.jpg
197195880_329217515375756_8888366965637567906_n.jpg

Looks like pus to me.
If you have vet care, that would be best.

General care is to clean the eye with saline, press out the pus and apply an eye ointment 2-3 times a day. Terramycin eye ointment can be found at TSC. If the pus is stubborn, you may need to apply warm compresses to help soften it.

For both eyes to be swollen like that it's usually an indication of respiratory disease. You may want to look inside her beak for any lesions, mucous or white/yellow pasty material.

Looks like pus to me.
If you have vet care, that would be best.

General care is to clean the eye with saline, press out the pus and apply an eye ointment 2-3 times a day. Terramycin eye ointment can be found at TSC. If the pus is stubborn, you may need to apply warm compresses to help soften it.

For both eyes to be swollen like that it's usually an indication of respiratory disease. You may want to look inside her beak for any lesions, mucous or white/yellow pasty material.

Thank you so much for your help. After reading your first reply this morning I did some more research and went and got Terramycin and started it after cleaning with saline. I was associating all of her issues(neck and eye) together and searching that way instead of as individual issues. I'm not seeing anything in her beak and will try the warm compress to see about pus. I have tried again to get some out with no luck. Again thank you!

Back
Top Bottom