Easter Egger with sprained leg? hurt toe? idk!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rowdy00, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Rowdy00

Rowdy00 New Egg

Nov 6, 2013
    hello! new to posting here! and somewhat new to chickens! (1.5 yrs)

i noticed blondie our easter egger limping around and using her left wing to balance herself. shes holding up the left leg she tries to put it down when the other chickens are around but its almost like she has something on her foot so she puts her foot down then brings it back up. (like getting into hot water!) i gave her foot and leg a good look over several times, no noticeable injury, no swelling, no obvious breaks, she was content with the rest of the girls, but today she was just laying in the coop, i put her in a dog crate on our porch, with a nest box bedding and food and water and covered it to keep her calm. i did notice the tip of her toe was darker gray and when she was worked up and standing on it it was curled under her foot, only the tip. im thinking she got caught on something either going up to the roost or coming down in the am. short of taking her to the vet any other tips? pain relief?
    thank you!

2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I'm not sure what it could be, maybe mareks? I've never had a problem with this, so I hope someone more experienced can chip in. As for pain relief, a couple tablespoons of blueberries might help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by