Easter egger

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jacksonkasteler, Oct 26, 2016.

1. jacksonkasteler

jacksonkasteler Just Hatched

Oct 26, 2016
    Hi, I have an Easter egger and it's 8 months and stopped laying suddenly and hasn't laying in 2-3 weeks

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you. For a full welcome, you might consider introducing yourself in the New Member Introductions section of the forum.

We need some more information so we can help you...

What do you feed? (be specific)

Any recent stress to the flock? (New birds, nearby predators, environment changes, etc.)

How's the weather in your area?

How long had she been laying before she stopped?

There are lots of factors that affect laying. Among these are stress, diet, and environment.

3. jacksonkasteler

Oct 26, 2016
    I feed my chicken layer mash 20%,
    I haven't had any stress,
    gets down to like 40 in the night
    She layed probably 15 eggs then stopped

4. QueenMisha

That all sounds fine. It seems she's a pretty new layer. She may simply be taking a small break from laying. Pullets may have irregular laying cycles the first several weeks or months of production.

5. jacksonkasteler

Oct 26, 2016
    But it probably hase been not laying for 1 month+

6. QueenMisha

That's a while, but not unheard of. If she's acting healthy, and they aren't stressed and have a proper diet, then there isn't really much to be done except wait for her to start laying again.

If she is acting at all off, you might do a physical exam to check for any abnormalities, especially in the abdomen. Reproductive issues aren't common in young hens, so I wouldn't expect it to be health related, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Oh - one question I forgot to ask. Do they free range? Is it possible she's hiding her eggs?

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I had an Easter Egger that stopped laying at 7 months old and didn't lay again until she was about 10 months. Nothing wrong with. Just a sporadic layer.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    But have the birds had any stress? [​IMG]
    Changes in housing, feed, new flock members, predators, etc.

EE can be notoriously inconsistent layers...they lay for a time, then stop for a time, then start back up....<rollseyes>

Welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  9. aldarita

aldarita Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Brenham TX
    My first EE stopped laying for months when she was a young pullet, then she resumed laying regularly until she died. I attributed the break in laying because she was at the bottom of the pecking order and was harassed by the rest of the pullets. It was stressful for her at the beginning until she settled down in her spot and adjust to the situation. She was sort of a loner and learned to stay away from the others and it was then that she started laying again. Be patient, if your EE is healthy, she will resume laying.

10. jacksonkasteler

Oct 26, 2016
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

I have noticed they haven't layed since August here are some pics

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by