Easter Egger

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by brimjohnson, Sep 28, 2012.

1. brimjohnson

brimjohnson Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Puyallup, WA
    I bought an Easter Egger last weekend from a lady that told me she was an Ameracauna but the more i research about the breed came to realize that I believe shes an EE. My question is is that she has a very large comb. And its a single comb, makes her look like a roo... but she does not have spurs and does not crow. The lady that sold her to me also said she was over a year old but I've had her almost a week and she hasnt layed any eggs.... please help me understand what she is, the comb throws me. thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    She is an EE hen. She is getting used to her surroundings and with her age, she may go into molt. They don't lay while molting.

3. farmer boy

farmer boy Chillin' With My Peeps

EEs have pea combs though

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    ee hen getting used to her new home

5. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    EEs can have any type of comb depending on what they are mixed with. I have some with very nice walnut combs because of the silkie in their background. I just hatched out a bunch of chicks with mostly walnut combs, one single comb, and some with combs that look like their mothers. None of my EEs that came from a hatchery had actual pea combs, even though most are small. All are those wonky combs you get when you cross comb types. I know that they some of them carry a copy of the single comb gene because of chicks I've hatch out of them.

The move was stressful for the hen and she won't lay until she's comfortable, and after she molts if it stressed her to bad. I have a few with the exact same coloring as her.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She's a hen, that's for sure.

She might have had on ee parent and one single comb parent, who knows.

But, that single comb lessens her chances of laying colored eggs for you. Green/blue eggs are closely linked to the pea comb, so chances are you'll get brown or cream eggs from her.

7. brimjohnson

Sep 28, 2012
    Puyallup, WA
    Thanks you guys. The lady that sold her to me told me she was 14 months old and laying. Like I said she hasnt since I've had her, and I was told you can feel those two pubic bones on a hen, if you can fit three fingers between the bones then they are laying, if you can only fit one or two they are not laying. I felt today and can only fit one finger... maybe the lady didnt know what she was talking about.

8. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    I hope she lays a nice green or blue for you. My Trixie is half Bantam Mottled Cochin (dad) and half Ameracauna (mom) and I was worried about the straight comb and tan eggs. She had hatched from a blue egg and she lays a bluish-green egg.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. wastintime202

wastintime202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Try giving her some oatmeal. It is comfort food and they seem to love it. It works for me when mine, who looks alot like yours except mine has pea comb, first got here. She was 2 years old and had stopped laying, she was heading to the crock pot, so I took her. She has been laying ever since I started giving her oatmeal a couple times a week. She doesn't lay every day but about 3 eggs a week.

10. brimjohnson

Sep 28, 2012
    Puyallup, WA
    Thanks for the tip. I gave her some vanilla yogurt today and she absolutely loved it, I'll try some oatmeal tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by