Easter Egger

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Peachy912, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Peachy912

Peachy912 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Hey I was looking to add and Easter Egger to my flock for the colorful eggs. Can you guys tell me a little more about them?:/ Please!:rolleyes:

2. rollkeeg877

rollkeeg877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    london ontario
    well you mean amaracanas not easter eggers the easter egger is a mix breed that lays blue eggs and the amaracana is pure an is a wonderful bird that comes in several different colours and lays sky blue eggs

3. Peachy912

Dec 30, 2012
    Ok fine ameracanas does anybody have further info them?:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  4. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

ameraucanas are usually very sweet and docile, they don't lay amazingly, but aren't bad layers either. probably around 4 eggs a week. they are fairly small, weighing around 5 pounds for a hen, and 6-7 for a rooster. EEs are also known to be sweet, and lay better then the pure ameraucana. they come in every color and pattern imaginable. and it's always a surprise to find what color will be in your nest box. oh, ameraucanas come in eight colors, buff, wheaten, blue wheaten, blue, black, brown red, and silver. splash, and lavender are not in the standard, but are beautiful nether less =) hope this helps.

5. Easter Eggers are not a pure breed, they are crosses that carry the blue egg gene, so they may or may not lay blue eggs. Some hatcheries claim to have Ameraucanas or Araucanas (which are both pure breeds recognized by the APA and ABA) but the truth is, unless you are buying birds from a reputable breeder they are probably not actually Ameraucanas or Arauanas.

Some hatcheries even advertise "Americanas" which are the same thing as Easter Eggers.

Easter Eggers are not recognized by the APA or ABA, and therefore cannot be shown, and do not have a set standard. Easter Eggers can be almost any color, have any color legs, eyes, or earlobes, they can be any size or shape, have any comb, they can have watles or muffs, or not. The only real definition of what makes an Easter Egger is that they must carry the blue egg gene, but that does not necessarily mean they will lay blue eggs, although most do. For example, I have a hen whose mother was an EE, and her father is a Sumatra. She looks very " Sumatra-y", but she has the blue eggs gene, and lays blue eggs, so she is considered an EE.

Easter Eggers will not necessarily lay blue eggs, whereas pure Ameraucanas and Araucanas will (the eggs of purebreds are a little brighter, and more of a vivid sky blue color, especially with the Araucana). Most EEs lay eggs that are more of a dusty blue to green color, while some even lay brown, pink, and white eggs.

EEs are very easy to find, and you can get them from almost any hatchery or farm store. They might be advertised as Ameraucanas, Americanas, or Araucanas, but if the chick has no muffs, or legs that are any color other than blue (slate) they are not pure. Most Araucanas are also rumpless and have actual tufts of feathers on their faces, but because of lethal alles and something with the rumpless gene, not all are rumpless or have the feather tufts.

Hope this helps,
    Ms.B

1 person likes this.
  6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Well said!

I have both. Ameraucanas are very hard to find. EEs are easier, but still not common in my area. They had to be imported over from the US, so not many have done that. I bought mine from someone who had.

My Ameraucanas are better layers than my EEs.

[​IMG]

Common EE appearance - my bird (though they can look all kinds of crazy colours - and come in solid as well, but otherwise don't meet the breed description).

[​IMG]
    Black Ameraucana (my bird)

[​IMG]
    White EE. (my bird)

Furthermore, if two different (excluding Blue, Black and Splash) varieties of Ameraucana are bred together, their offspring aren't considered 'pure' and as far as I know, the only breed to have this stated in their standard. Even still - if they do meet the standard, but don't breed true 50% of the time, they are not considered Ameraucanas. Ameraucanas ONLY lay blue eggs. If they lay green, that is a sign there is something mixed in it's ancestry.

My white EE above has yellow soles to her feet. They should be pink and her legs should be slate.

As for temperament, I find them very similar. My Ameraucanas are very friendly and adorable. I just love them. Especially my bantam Ameraucanas.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  7. Peachy912

Dec 30, 2012
    Wow thanks for all the help you have no idea how much I appreciate it again thankyou sooo sooo sooo much!!!!

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]
    Splash Ameraucana Dovely helping mama Sue Read her family history book. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's a character that one!

9. Peachy912

Dec 30, 2012
    WOW she is sooo cute![​IMG]

10. jendodd79

jendodd79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2012
    My 3 Easter Eggers! Were supposed to be Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas but definitely aren't!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by