1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Easter Eggers advertised as Ameraucanas?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Henlee, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Henlee

Henlee New Egg

Mar 19, 2013
    Hi folks, new member here! Earlier today my husband responded to a local Craigslist ad for 4-week old Ameraucana pullets. After hubby said we'd stop by to see the birds tomorrow (he's a cattle and horse guy, not a bird man), I found out (only after my husband asked) the seller said these are hatchery chicks, not locally bred. When asked what color they are, ie, variety, my husband was told "there are three colors." Also, when the seller was asked if he was sure they were all pullets (specially because they came from a large hatchery) he became quite defensive. He said he could not remember the name of the hatchery.

Hummm.

This is the only photo we have. Looking closely at the legs in the photos (am I seeing greenish on the right?), and given these are birds from The Who Knows Where hatchery, I'm thinking these are Easter Eggers, not Ameraucanas. Any more educated guesses or opinions? I have nothing against EEs, they're just not what we wanted or what was advertised. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If they are hatchery bred, you can bet that they are most likely EE. If that suits your needs, fine - however, if you want Ameraucanas locate a breeder. The chicks pictured look like EE, and the little black guy is perhaps a cochin.

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, I am 1000% sure that those are Easter Eggers. Looks like straight run as well.

4. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    No recognized colours and hatchery origins = Easter eggers even if they had blue legs.

5. Henlee

Henlee New Egg

Mar 19, 2013
    Thanks folks for your quick replies. Good to know that as I begin my chicken education I'm at least on the right track! In addition to my guess about these being EEs, even though they're still quite young, I suspected straight run as well – but I didn't need to go there if you all shared my thoughts on these being EEs in the first place. And, I agree, whatever he/she is, the little black one seems out of his/her league. Of course, newbie-me wouldn't even begin to guess the breed!

A shame, these chicks are just minutes away from our place. It was too easy. Thanks again. I appreciate your shared knowledge.

6. lizanne

lizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Citrus Heights, Ca
    They look just like my EE from Mc Murray hatchery.

[​IMG]

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    If you want pure Ameraucanas, you might start with the breeder's directory online. You may need to have chicks or fertile eggs shipped to get what you want but they aren't that hard to come by if you're willing to spend the money. Just don't expect them to be priced like hatchery birds or vent sexed.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  8. Henlee

Henlee New Egg

Mar 19, 2013
    Thanks for the advice. I'm working on it! The pricing is not the issue; our time and space to properly manage and care for the birds is. This represents a long-term obligation to the birds and a lasting commitment from us. We can comfortably handle just a handful of calm, friendly, long-lived layers for pets and eggs – all hens – and I'm hoping to find just one or two each of a couple of specific breeds and varieties (Ameraucana and Orpington top the list, followed by Australorp, Plymouth Rock, and perhaps Dominique, Wynadotte). I realize that desiring just a few hens, without wanting to cull (I'm a bleeding heart and can't get rid of anything) is a very tall order to fill. Realistically, we'd manage with ONE roo, tops. I'm willing to pay reasonably and wait for the right circumstance. Also, I'm not completely opposed to mixed-breeds; I'd rather have a healthy, well-bred mixed-breed bird from a caring and knowledgeable breeder than a poorly bred and raised "purebred." So for now, I'll continue to research and learn. Hopefully, the right opportunity will present itself. Thanks again for your advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by