Easter Eggers and Cochins and Frizzles . . Oh my!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kellykate, Sep 19, 2009.

1. kellykate

kellykate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    Ok what is with these ladies! I know they are slower to mature but --really!! They are 26 weeks old - over 6 months-- and not laying! The cochin's face still isn't even pink! How long must I wait for these 3 fickle ladies to finally give me an egg?

Also, I live in Maine, if it gets too cold-- too fast will they hold off completely until next spring? Thanks!

2. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    I live in MN and the cold weather did not stop my hens from laying. I have three cochins, and 1 EE with a assortment of other breeds. Day length has a greater effect than temperature in my opinion.

3. elaucht

elaucht Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    I have 7 EE that were hatched in Feb. still no eggs . I was wondering how long they take:rolleyes:

4. kellykate

kellykate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    fasbendera: Did you put an extra light in your coop to keep them laying or did they do ok without it. I have heard mixed opinions.

elaucht: you are worse off than I am. What is with these EE's? Mine grew in size the fastest and has remained a very large beautiful bird but where are the eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by