1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Easter Eggers and Marans!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gingerchicks, Apr 18, 2017.

1. gingerchicks

gingerchicks Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    Central Indiana
    Hey all!! We picked up 4 EEs and 2 French Marans from a small farm so they weren't sexed. He picked what he hoped to be pullets but now that they have grown a bit- I'm questioning one or both Marans and at least one EE. I know the EE's are hard because they are mixed but ya'll seem like a knowledgeable bunch so I figured I'd post and see!
    Black Copper Maran: 6ish weeks old

[​IMG]

Another pic- same bird

[​IMG]

This is what I assume to be a Blue Copper Maran, 6ish weeks. This little buddy has the shortest tail feathers of the group.

[​IMG]

Pic 2

[​IMG]

Easter Egger 6-7 weeks old- Bigger than the other three and getting some splashes of red.

[​IMG]

Pic 2

[​IMG]

I can try to get more pics if you think you can tell with a different angle! Thanks for any help!!

2. yorkie6

yorkie6 Just Hatched

Apr 18, 2017
    The brown one is, at my guess a male, especially since you say its getting red, and its bigger. Soon you will find out though because it will start growing a big "crown" and will do weird, horrible sounding noises, which will eventually turn into crowing. I like having a rooster in the flock, although they can be mean. theres ways of keeping them pretty nice, or at manageable. However if its to mean, well, you know what you can do. [​IMG] I just feel that a flock isn't complete without a rooster.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Two Marans cockerels and an Easter Egger cockerel.

4. gingerchicks

Mar 23, 2017
    Central Indiana
    Thanks guys! I really hope one Maran turns out to be a girl! I got them for their awesome dark eggs!

5. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    The blue one is a male, the black one might be female. Want to say female on the brown one, no waddles really on that one but they could sprout up. It is looking a little pink, so we'll see!

6. gingerchicks

Mar 23, 2017
    Central Indiana
    Thanks mandelyn!

7. gingerchicks

Mar 23, 2017
    Central Indiana
    Any other guesses?! Looks like they are mostly split right now! [​IMG]

8. ambabya

ambabya Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Roo
    Roo
    Pullet... probably

9. gingerchicks

Mar 23, 2017
    Central Indiana
    Dang it! I knew it was a bad choice to only get two marans! I'm guessing the ones who said all roosters are probably right.... the bigger they get, the clearer it is becoming!

1 person likes this.
  10. yorkie6

yorkie6 Just Hatched

Apr 18, 2017
    Haha hope everything goes well! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by