Easter Eggers and Silkies together, is it possible

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by denco5, Nov 10, 2010.

1. denco5

denco5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Ocoee Florida
    I have twelve 10 week old EE, 3 roos and 9 hens(funny thing is I bought 12 hens and 3 are now roos) Anyways, I was given two 4 week old Silkies. Will these two breeds get along well enough to be housed together everyday all day? I have been letting them see each other every couple of days so when the Silkies are fully feathered I can put them in the coop and run.

Am I asking to much of these animals to get along?

2. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Chickens are far more enlightned than people. They just see other chickens, no prejudices. You can put any types of breeds together as long as they are approximately the same size. Some breeds are bossier and tend to sometimes be more agressive, but that is directed at any other chickens, regardless of breed. Just let them see eachother for a week or so, maybe put a smaller cage in the larger coop, or next to it, then let them together and see how it goes. There may be a little pecking, but again, that will happen no matter what the breeds are. Just make sure it doesn't get out of hand.

We could learn a lot from chickens.

3. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    You may end up needing to get down to only one roo, though. Just see how they do together, and make sure the girls aren't being over-mated.

4. melloladies

melloladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    Ditto Skitto! I have one EE, and one silkie, among other mixed breeds. My silkie must have some sort of amnesty agreement with the rest of them, because she seems to be loved by all!

5. Hens4Fun

Hens4Fun Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] they all get along!

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    One of my silkies loves to hang out with my cornish cross hens. They think she loves them, but actually I think it's their warmth she craves.

7. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I haven't had silkies before but my EE and Ameraucanas have been my nicest breeds by far! And mine have been on the small size--compared to the heavy girls. So if your girls are simlar in size and temperament--I think it will work..

8. denco5

denco5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Ocoee Florida
    Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by