Easter Eggers and Wyandottes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StarLover21, Mar 8, 2012.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    I got two gourgeous sweet VERY friendly girls- a EE and a Wyandotte yesterday- and am wondering a bit more about them- how good of egg layers are they? Do they go broody often? I'd love your pictures and stories :)

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I have two EEs, had three before Shania got sick. EEs are a complete mixed bag of genetics it is hard to predict them. My EEs are my second most reliable layers, right behind my Australorp. I have heard in other threads though that they can stop randomly. Mine kinda did that once; just started molting and took three months to finish up.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    My EE's and Wyandottes are all wicked layers. However, only my GLW's, not the SLW's or the EE's, have been broody. And when the GLW's go broody, oh boy, they are REALLY broody! Hormones kick into high gear, and they become fierce and manic!

4. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    I have 5 EE's and all are laying now. The 4 younger ones all started laying between 21 and 24 weeks and the older one did not lay until she was 32 weeks. They all lay about 3 days in a row then one day off. My SLW and GLW are very different. My GLW lays like a champ, about 5 to 6 a week. The SLW lays when she feels like it...LOL, usually 3 a week.

5. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    So is there actually a difference in the different colors of Wyandottes you get?

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I believe all chickens have their own unique personalities, but I have noticed some startling similarities among the different breeds.

Yes, my SLWs are different in temperament from my GLWs. The Golds are much more bossy and when they go broody, they approach violence, attacking and biting when disturbed on the nest. My older GLW Irene will beat herself senseless against the sides of the broody cage trying to get out when she's going through broody-breaking treatment. My younger GLW Su-Su is almost as temperamental when broody, but is not nearly as bossy and bullying as Irene when not broody.

For sheer staggering physical beauty, though, GLWs are unapproachable. And better believe they're aware of it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by