Easter Eggers, Araucanas, Ameraucanas; difference??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LaynaDon95, Mar 21, 2012.

1. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Okay, so I know there is a difference. I know some (or all) hatcheries mistakenly (or otherwise) claim they sell one of these three breeds. But what makes an Easter Egger and Easter Egger instead of an Araucana or Ameraucana or vise versa? I bought some "Ameraucanas" from TSC today. I knew they probably weren't what they claimed to be, but I just want the colored eggs, so that doesn't matter to me. I would like to get my facts straight, though, so... opinions? Are they all the same thing? (I doubt it) Are they different grades of the same thing? Such as show quality, etc. In what ways are they different?

2. CSWolffe

CSWolffe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    The Auracana originates from Chile, lays blue eggs, has tufts near the ears, pea comb, and is rumpless.
    The Ameraucana is an American breed with more than a little Auracana blood, they lay blue eggs, have beards and tufts, pea combs, slate legs, and a full tail.
    Both the Aruacan and Ameraucana are recognized breeds.
    Easter Eggers are mutts, plain and simple. Any chicken with the 'blue' egg gene and does not conform to any poultry standard is considered an Easter Egger, though most are descended from Ameraucan stock. Most EEs have green or grey legs and beards, and those with pea combs have the blue gene.
    I am a huge fan of EEs. They have great personality, you can't beat the colored eggs, and most also have 'hybrid vigor' as well.

1 person likes this.
  3. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Ohhh... Okay. :) Thank you.

I have EE's then (which I figured as much.) I don't really care as long as I get colored eggs out of the deal. So, some will lay green eggs and some will lay blue? Do EE's ever lay olive or pink-ish colored eggs, or is that another breed?

4. CSWolffe

Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    Green and blue are the most common colors, yes. Olive Eggers are a type of Easter Egger.
    Here's how it works, as I understand it: There are blue eggs and brown, with two different genes. Blue eggs are blue all the way through, while brown eggs are white inside, with a covering of brown over the top. You can get darker brown eggs by increasing the number of 'brown' egg genes, so you can have a light brown layer like a Wyandotte all the way up to a chocolate brown layer like a Marans. 'Pink' is really just a white egg with a very faint amount of 'brown', they are not really 'pink', not like Mary Kay Pink.
    White eggs have no colored genes. Blue eggs have only the blue egg gene. Green eggs happen when you have a blue egg covered with a small amount of brown coloring, 'Blue' + 'Brown' = 'Green'. Take a green layer and add another brown gene, and you get Olive.
    I agree with you, I just want some colored eggs! And most of the people I have spoken with all agree that EEs make great backyard chickens. While I would love to be able to breed some pure blue Amaruacanas, in the end, I think I am a bigger fan of the EE mutts.

5. AnimalCrazed

AnimalCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Idaho
    I also bought an Ameraucana from a feed store, so could she be a EE then?
    here is a picture, also if she is a ameraucana what color is she?
    [​IMG]

6. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Ok, that makes sense. Thank you.
    I'm a fan of all mutts, so they will fit in nicely. ;) I have 40 chicks at the moment and 4 of them are pure bred. =P
    I'm looking forward to my colored eggs! (lay me some eggs, women!)

7. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    From what I do understand, if you buy them from a feed store, they are pretty much always EE's, not whatever they claim to be.
    And if I remember correctly, you can't really tell what color they will be ultimately. I think it's a wait and see kind of thing.
    She sure is a cutie, though. ;)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  8. CSWolffe

Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    LaynaDon95 is right, if you got it from a feed store, it's an Easter Egger, no matter what they label it.
    I can't tell what color she will be, not yet. I'm not an expert on EEs or anything, I just tend to hyper-educate myself on any new hobby I get involved in. Right now that is bee keeping, and you would not believe the trivia I have amassed on back yard bee keeping...
    I think part of the fun of getting EEs is not know what you are going to get. We have two in the brooder right now, with two Wellsumers. I know exactly what the Wellies will look like as adults, and they both look exactly alike, it's hard to tell 'em apart. Our too EEs are starting to feather, and I am loving finding new colors! They both have read breasts with spots, one lighter the other darker, and one has partridge wings the other what I think are laced or penciled. I love the surprise factor.

9. AnimalCrazed

AnimalCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Idaho
    Awesome! Thanks guys! I'm way excited either way, its another chicken!!!

10. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    My thoughts, exactly. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by