1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Easter Eggers as meat birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by trainhound, Aug 2, 2008.

1. trainhound

trainhound Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2008
    California High Desert
    Do EE's make good meat birds at 5 months? Do hens taste better than Roo's?

I currently have about 30 EE's and would like to hatch out about a dozen every other month for meat and raise them to about 5 months then process. They seem to be a good size at that age and they seem like they would be less work than meatbirds, what do you think?

2. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    should be fine we eat sdome of the easter eggers rood all the time we butcher them at 4 to 5 months they always taste fine to us

3. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    We just butchered 5, 15 week old EE roos. Not big(dressed at 2.5 pounds), but better than I expected. We did feed a 20% protein ration the whole time and they ranged.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  4. trainhound

trainhound Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2008
    California High Desert
    What weight do they dress out to at about 5 months?

5. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Are they tough at that age? The birds I've butchered past about 14 weeks have been tough. They were fine for stewers, (I usually crock-pot the older birds) and even very slow oven cooked, but not for frying or any quicker cooking method. Pressure canning is great, too. The older birds have more flavor, IMO, and the broth is wonderful and rich.

I've read that some breeds are tender longer than others, though, are EE's maybe one of those?

6. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    I wouldn't push 5 months, they were getting a touch stringy at 15 weeks. I would guess 3.5 pounds dressed on a high protein feed.

ETA: There are far better dual purpose birds out there. Rocks or Delawares make better dinners in my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  7. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    yeah? Any idea of how buckeye roos dress out?

8. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    buckeyes dress out real nice if they are oung enough alot like a rhode island red. very meaty too mmm mmm

9. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Young enough meaning... 12? 15? 20 weeks?

Quote:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  10. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I had some EE's processed for a friend of mine when I took a batch of broilers in. They just laughed whe I picked the box up thinking they were mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by