Easter Eggers begin laying when?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 64peeps, Nov 20, 2013.

1. 64peeps

64peeps Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2013
    I purchased two EE's, two RIR's, and two Buff Orpingtons May 15, 2013. All birds have begun laying at least 4-7 eggs a week except the EE's. One EE has only laid four eggs since the beginning of October and the other, larger EE has not yet laid an egg after 27 weeks! I believe the larger EE is at least one week older than all the others as she was huge compared to the others when we bought them.

I know she has not laid any eggs yet because I pay very close attention to all the birds, their habits, and especially when they lay their eggs, i.e. what time of day and which days they nest. The larger EE seems to pay no attention to the nesting boxes. I let them out of the coop after I get home from work every day and all day on weekends. I listen and watch them like the proverbial HAWK! I even have went Easter Egg hunting several times to see if she may have laid some in the yard. No such luck. Any ideas?

Thank You,

64Peeps

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    is her comb red and will she do the submissive squat when you place your hand on her back?

3. 64peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Yes, her comb is red and she does the submissive squat and tap dance at the same time, It's really funny to watch. I've noticed the other hens did this and begun laying within a couple weeks. My larger EE has been doing the squat for almost one month now. Is there any other clues besides checking the vent. I have not done that yet.

4. BorneHomestead

Oct 10, 2013
    you could get a crate/kennel and place her in it for a few days with food and water and see if she lays an egg. her vent should be wide and moist not dry and puckered. she might just be super sneaky with laying and it closely resembles one of your other hens eggs. keep in mind EE's can lay any color egg. I thought mine were both laying green eggs until I actually saw her lay the egg in my hand, surprised me as it was a off white egg.

5. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    At this time of year, of course, the days are shortening. Sometimes, when you have a pullet who is reaching point of lay simultaneously with the shortest days of the year, she will not start laying when she would if the days were longer. In other words, the shortening days delay point of lay. With my Buckeyes, in the past, I have actually found this to be favorable for the pullet. She is able to mature and grow a better body without having to devote herself to laying eggs. Some of these have been my largest, best developed hens later on.

You can see if she is laying in some hidden place by examining her vent. If you cannot tell the difference, use the search here on the forum. I am sure someone at some time in the past has posted pictures showing the difference.

6. 64peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Thanks to all for the replies and links!

I keep all my girls in their "A" frame tractor during the day and let them out when I get home from work. Now that the days are getting shorter, they are only out of the coup for a couple hours a day during the week. My boys and I have searched our small yard several times and no eggs have been found. They have about 10 hours of freedom on each weekend day. The tractor has a floor/run space of 48 square feet and it is butted up to 64 sq. ft. additional run area (covered with chicken wire to protect them from an air or ground assault from other animals.

As for the length of light, I have a timer with two lights (one in the coup and one below in the run) that come on in the AM and PM allowing for 15 hours of light each day. The bulbs meet the specs listed in a Raising Chickens book I have. So, they have light whether they are in the run or on the perch. My RIRs have been laying for some time now and it was one week after adding the lights that the two Buffs begun laying. I believe they are getting enough light and warmth and have begun to believe that my EE is just a slow developer and has decided to wait until she is more developed before she begins to lay eggs.

Only thing left is to view her vent.

Thanks again for the information

64peeps

7. 1/4irish

1/4irish Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    If this is a hatchery EE, I have found they take significantly longer to start to lay than any other hatchery breed I have had. The gold sex links were the quickest to start. Ameraucanas also can take forever to start. Light would likely help at this time of year. Cheap LED Christmas lights can be used. Otherwise she may wait til the days lengthen. I tried making my own EEs by crossing Ameraucana males to gold sex link females and these were much quicker to start tot lay.

8. 64peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    I went out this morning to check on my girls and to my surprise, my non-laying EE was looking into the nest box from inside the coup. I went back out and checked on her several times. Finally, I saw her and my two Rhode Island Reds (RIR) in the nest boxes (I have two nesting boxes). One RIR were in each box and the EE was sharing the nest box with my early egg laying RIR I call mama (she laid her first egg at 18 weeks).

So, I took your advice and shut the coup door locking them in and the other three girls out. About an hour later, I had two brown eggs and an olive green egg, YEA!

Thanks for your advice, it sure helped.

9. BorneHomestead

Oct 10, 2013
    congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by