1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Easter eggers eggs change color or not?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 92Pony, Aug 19, 2010.

1. 92Pony

92Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    South Carolina
    I have two EE'rs, and I believe one has started laying. She's laying smallish light, light brown eggs. I know the eggs will most likely get bigger, but can their color change at all with time? I'm guessing that if she was going to lay the blue or green tinted, they would have started out that way - yes? [​IMG]

Wade

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    She will continue to lay brown.

The only time the color will change is if you have a green layer. Green eggs are blue eggs with brown spray paint. So if the egg doesn't make it through the paint booth, it will come out blue. Doesn't happen often, but it can happen.

3. Rayne17

Rayne17 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Moxee WA.
    Quote:So i have a dumb question for someone to answer. I have an EE that laid one little green egg more than 10 days ago. Now all i see are brown eggs of different shades every day since. What happened to the green eggs?
    Thanks

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:So i have a dumb question for someone to answer. I have an EE that laid one little green egg more than 10 days ago. Now all i see are brown eggs of different shades every day since. What happened to the green eggs?
    Thanks

Heavy hand in the paint booth?!? [​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Thanks

Any chance another girl is laying and your EE is just taking a break?

6. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Eggs don't change color (except for what new2choooks explained) but are at their darkest when a hen begins her laying cycle. Towards the end of her cycle, her eggs become paler and paler, until she stops to moult. Then her eggs return to their former vibrancy after break.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by