1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Easter Egger's First Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickensOnBoard, Jul 16, 2010.

1. ChickensOnBoard

ChickensOnBoard In the Brooder

Jul 14, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    My Easter Egger, Olivia, laid her very first egg today. I caught the whole thing on video.

Yesterday I got my very first egg ever from (probably) my Silver Laced Wyandotte. Today I got a second brown egg.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of Olivia right after she laid her first egg. She is a very sweet girl.

[​IMG]

2. KSue

KSue In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2010
    Old Fort
    Beautiful eggs! Congratulations!

3. SG_Chicken

SG_Chicken Chirping

Jul 14, 2010
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Way to go Olivia!!!

4. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Songster

Jun 23, 2010
    How old is your EE?

5. Baymule

Baymule Songster

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Aren't they just beautiful?????? SOOOOOOOOO pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

6. ChickensOnBoard

Jul 14, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    Olivia is 17-18 weeks old. I brought her home on March 19, 2010 and she was probably 4-5 days old then.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  7. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Beautiful! My EE hens are 15 weeks. You give me hope for an egg sometime soon!

8. sprawli

sprawli In the Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Very cool egg color! Congrats!

9. ChickensOnBoard

Jul 14, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    Both Olivia (EE) and Monica (SLW) have been showing a squatting behavior, as if being receptive to a rooster, for the past week or two. I thought it might be a prelude to egg laying, and it turns out it probably was.

When I walk up and get close to them, they will freeze in place, lower their bodies, hold out their wings slightly and allow me to pet them. While petting them they tend to raise their tails. It makes sense that they would be rooster-receptive prior to egg laying. I'm not sure if all the pullets will do this, but these two certainly have.

10. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Quote:Ditto! Mine are right there with yours and now I have a little hope too! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Keeping my fingers crossed for soon! Gorgeous egg btw! I am that shade of green with envy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by