Easter Eggers: friendly and good layers?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Summer98, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Summer98

Summer98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Are the Easter Eggers friendly or real flighty? Can they make a decent pet? Also, do they keep laying over the years of their lifespan or do they stop laying faster?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Since they're mutts you'll get mixed reviews.

Most are decent layers, most live a decent life and lay pretty long, most are pretty friendly.

But there's a lot of exceptions. I myself had one who was flighty, one who laid about 20 eggs then laid internally plus she had a crooked spine, and I also had one who died pretty early from egg issues.

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I have 2 and some youngsters coming up from my own mixes. I have one who is moulting, looking down right ratty and she's the only one still laying out of all of my birds. She's alittle flighty too. I think she might have Leghorn in her. She doesn't have the muffs or anything that some EEs have, but she lays a pretty pick egg.

4. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    My mother has an old hatchery EE hen, she's probably about 6 or 7 years old, lays a pale green egg a couple times a week. She used to be really friendly, but no one really spends much time holding her anymore so she has gotten more standoffish. But definitely has her own personality, lol!

I think they make great pets.

5. briter30

briter30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    My first chickens I got were EE. I got three at the age of 8 weeks old. They are now 9 months old and are by far my most lovable chickens out of my flock of 9. They come to me whenever I call Treat! Treat! They also do not run when my 7, 3, and EVEN 2 year old comes near them. YES, even my 2 year old can easily pick them up without even a chase. My kids hold them like a baby and don't seem to mind at all! Also, if I am sitting on my outdoor chair, they will easily sit on me like a lap dog and be petted. With that said, I just got me 2 more EE. But I didn't get them until they were 18 weeks old. Neither are flighty but both are not easy to catch and prefer not to be bothered at first. But now, after a few weeks of having them, one of the new EE has jumped on my lap to be petted and is a lot easier to catch. My two new EE have not started laying, but my other 3 EE that I've had since 8 weeks old are very good layers. They lay about 4-5 a week. Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by