1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Easter Eggers from Schlecht Hatchery - gender hints?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenmama22, Mar 22, 2013.

1. chickenmama22

chickenmama22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    I ordered 30 Easter egger chicks from Schlecht Hatchery and they are now almost 3 weeks old. Half of them are white or yellowish and the other half are patterned like a chipmunk. Is there a way to tell boys from girls? I am suspecting that the white ones are the males. Anyone have any experience with Easter Eggers from Schlechts?

Thanks!

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    even the white ones can be pullets, pictures would help

3. chickenmama22

Aug 29, 2007
    Everyone loves chicken pictures!!

Here ya go:

General picture of 4 yellow/white EEs, a brown/black one and I think a Black Copper Marans behind it.

[​IMG]

#1 Yellow / White EE:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#2 Chipmunk example

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#3 Another Yellow / White:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#4 Yellow / White that's getting buff:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#5 Brown Chipmunk example:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#6 Yellow Chipmunk pattern... I thought she was a girl until I saw her fighting with another chick.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

#7 Yellow / White EE:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Of the 30 I received, half of them were mostly solid yellow upon arrival. When I had the solid ones alone in a box, half of them rushed at my hand to "attack" even without the attraction of glittery nails. These hatched 3/5/13. I'd love to hear your guesses or suggestions. I am selling them and people want females. The males I'd like to rehome sooner than later. (Same story, different batch of chicks, right?)

ETA: Some of the chicks are definitely more robust than others. Mentioning it in case that makes a difference.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  4. Lots A Cluckin

Lots A Cluckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    By the way..this sexing method can be used for most breeds...the only breed that it has not worked on for me is silkies....but since some breeds feather out faster them others you will have to do this at different ages for different breeds...just when ever your chicks start getting tail feathers is the age you will be able to sex them this way...the chicks that start growing their tail feathers first are going to be your pullets.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I've had mixed results going just by tail feather growth.

6. BorderBrigade

BorderBrigade Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    Perry County, PA
    The feathering of the tail works usually but in my last hatch of faverolles,Cochins and wyandottes one that feathered very fast turned out to be a male and two that feathered very slow turned out to be pullets. So it's definitely not 100% method. Also seems to depend on the breeder and stock they come from as well.

7. chickenmama22

Aug 29, 2007
    Thanks for all the replies! These EEs are so big for their age, and I'm not sure tail feathers alone is the answer. In the end, I went by overall feathering, behaviour, thickness of legs and overall weight. I found 10 that seemed more roo-ish in those categories and sold them in 2 groups of 5. Let's hope I got it right!

If 2 of them were challenging each other, getting puffy necks, etc... they were marked as boys regardless of feathering, etc.

I think the feathering technique is a good one for APA acknowledged breeds, but maybe the "Easter Egger" label is so general that it's not consistent. I was hoping someone who ordered from Schlechts recently would be able to say how theirs grew out. Oh well, I'm quite happy with the hatchery anyway -- nice, big, healthy chicks! I just wish they came sexed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by