Easter Eggers have green or slate legs, right?

Felicitas

Songster
11 Years
Oct 17, 2008
Northern Metro Atlanta, GA USA
Is this chick still an EE? Or, any ideas as to what it could be?

3194884538_8b5fd5b0eb_o.jpg

Here s/he is, next to an easily identifiable EE chick:
3194884426_1097b5dbb8_o.jpg

Any EE or so called Amercuana chick from hatchery can have any color of legs...I even had a pink legged EE pullet that laid green eggs LOL!

Hi,

Please take this with the spirit it is intended. If you have to ask, that means you probably didn't buy from a reputable ABC breeder and therefore probably got it from a hatchery. If you bought it from a hatchery, it's an EE.

Sometimes it can be very hard to tell what a chick is depending on the age. Personally, I think it is an EE and I'm guessing that the two birds were ordered together?

As an Ameraucana Breeder, I can tell you that the chicks don't have slate gray legs when they're born. If you go to my website and look at the pictures of my true Wheaten & Blue Wheaten Ameraucana chicks, you'll see they are born with pinkish legs.

Quote:
I hatched these myself from eggs I bought off of eBay. The seller advertised them as Ameraucana, but he also included photos and I could see that they were EEs (thanks to this site). So I did know what I was getting.
wink.png
The point of me asking was really just to determine what the characteristics of these little mutts are, and also I thought there might be an outside chance that the seller accidentally sent an egg of a different kind, since I noted he had other chickens besides EEs. No biggie at all. The chick is turning out to be one of the prettiest in the bunch.

As an Ameraucana Breeder, I can tell you that the chicks don't have slate gray legs when they're born. If you go to my website and look at the pictures of my true Wheaten & Blue Wheaten Ameraucana chicks, you'll see they are born with pinkish legs.

Thank you for the info and I enjoyed looking at your site. The amount of expertise and the willingness of people to share is so wonderful here.​

You're welcome and thank you for the compliment. Since you seem to know the difference between an Ameraucana and an EE, I would recommend contacting that Seller and politely letting him know that his advertising is in error.

It may just be an honest mistake on his part and honestly, I have found that a whole lot of people don't know the difference because there is soooooo much misinformation out there.

I talked with three different feed stores last year that were advertising "Americana" and "Ameraucana" chicks and they were all Easter Eggers. The folks who ordered the birds and run the stores didn't have a clue that there was a difference or even what an Easter Egger was.\\

That Seller might just appreciate someone taking the time to educate him or her - or he might know what he/she is doing and just tell ya to take a hike.

God Bless,

Quote:
Your Blue Wheaten pullets look spectacular.

Do you sell/SHIP started pullets?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom