Easter Eggers or Ameraucana???

raisechickens

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2015
I recently purchased these and I know there can be great confusion between Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas. Below are the pics of 3 of the hens and the roster.

I lean toward Ameraucana since the legs are not green or yellow. They are dark colored, like a dark grey. They have muffs and beards, no waddles. They have been molting and today one finally layed a nice blue egg.

I am not only curious as to what they are, I am also interested to know how you can tell these are EE's or Ameraucana. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hen 1:

Hen 2:

Hen 3:

Rooster:

Thanks for the info so far. In looking at the pics I posted hen 3 doesn't look as blue as she does in person. I am not an expert on standard colors. I should do some searches to see examples of all standard Ameraucana colors.

Thanks for the link, it is very helpful. After reviewing the pics on the link it seems difficult to tell the difference between a blue wheaten hen and a wheaten hen. Is the only difference the color in the neck/head area?

Thanks for the link, it is very helpful. After reviewing the pics on the link it seems difficult to tell the difference between a blue wheaten hen and a wheaten hen. Is the only difference the color in the neck/head area?
It's usually only in the tail feathers, actually, that you can see the difference. They are essentially the same color, but Blue Wheatens have a single copy of a dilute gene for black, turning all black feathering into blue or dark grey.

Back
Top Bottom