Easter Eggers or Ameraucana?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by EagleTheHenpecked, Oct 8, 2011.

1. EagleTheHenpecked

EagleTheHenpecked Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2011
    Demotte
    The bin at the farm store this spring had these guys marked as Ameraucana. But since then i've learned that this isnt always 100% accurate. So i'd like a little help with identifying if Eagle and Time Out are true ameraucanas or just EEs. They're roughly 20 weeks now and the hens arent laying yet, but they have they seem to have the characteristics of ameraucanas. i'd like a second opinion though.

These are of Time-Out
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And This is Eagle
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd really like to know for sure what breed they are, and if possible, what type they are. (buff, blue, laced, Ect.)
    Thanks for any help you can give me

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Ok, Eagle is not going to give you any eggs because Eagle is a boy. They are both gorgeous. I'll let the experts tell you about breeds!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Eagle's coloring reminds me of my young Roo, "Supa Sexy". Your birds are very handsome EEs.

[​IMG]

4. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Your descriptive paragraph actually answered your question. If you got them from the farm store, then they came from a major hatchery, and thus they are EEs. No hatchery sells Ameraucana or Araucana stock. You have to get those two breeds from a breeder. But they are lovely birds, still!

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    EEs. Like mine, bought at the feed store out of a bin labeled "Ameraucana" (at least they spelled it right!), but they are not true Ameraucanas. "Just" EEs. I love them. They are amazing birds!

Oh yeah, and Eagle is 100% cockerel, so you should stop waiting on him to lay an egg.

6. EagleTheHenpecked

EagleTheHenpecked Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2011
    Demotte
    Yeah, guess i should have mentioned that Eagle is the only roo in my flock of 11. he's the only one that crows....at 1 am, 2 am, 3:30 am, 5 am and 6 am. oh and when he's hungry. thanks for the nearly instantaneous feedback [​IMG]

7. MassivelyScrambled

MassivelyScrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Northern California
    They are Easter Eggers. Time out is a girl, I have one that looks virtually identical (very pretty), the other one is a roo![​IMG]

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They are both EE's.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Those are some very nice looking Easter Eggers you have there.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The fact that they aren't recognized colors are one reason why they're easter eggers vs ameraucana. The hen in a common ee color. The roo is very handsome! I've noticed more blue coloring in the ees from this year and have to say, I like!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by