Easter eggers or Ameraucanas?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bazil323, May 9, 2018.

ID?

1. Ameraucanas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Easter eggers

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. bazil323

bazil323 In the Brooder

May 7, 2018
    Cameron, WI
    I bought these 2 pullets as ameraucanas earlier this spring, and the lady said they are known by the olive colored legs/feet which they both have. However, when I looked up the breed standards and pictures, I'm not seeing any like them. When I look up Easter eggers, they have almost identical feathering. So imI pretty sure they are actually Easter eggers, but I figured I would double check with more experienced people.

It's hard to get pictures of them by themselves, so please ignore the Welsummer in the bottom right of some pictures and the cuckoo Marans in the others.

Attached Files:

2. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Easter Eggers

50Shadezofchicks likes this.
  3. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Crowing

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    Feed store purchase?
    Those are definitely easter eggers. Unfortunetly most feed stores purchase from hatcheries that sell EEs as Ameraucana and Araucana. Its miss labeling and misinformation, but its what they do.
    Here's something to read that should help:

https://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2013/12/ameraucana-vs-araucana-vs-easter-egger.html

AMERAUCANAS

Ameraucanas are a pure breed that has been recognized by the APA (American Poultry Association) since 1984. They were most likely originally bred from South American blue egg laying breeds but were developed and standardized in the United States. They come in eight distinct colors including, Blue, Black, White and Wheaten, which all share these distinct Ameraucana traits:

Peacomb

Muffs and beard

Red earlobes

Tail

Blue legs

White foot bottoms

Always lay blue eggs

ARAUCANAS

Araucanas are more rare than Amerauacanas and harder to find. They are also a pure breed and have been recognized by the APA since 1976. They originated in Chile most likely and come in five colors including black, white, duckwing silver and golden. Araucanas all share these distinct Araucana traits:

Peacomb

Ear tufts (this gene is lethal to developing chicks if inherited by both parents)

Red earlobes

Rumpless (no tail)

Green or willow-colored legs

Yellow foot bottoms

Always lay blue eggs

EASTER EGGERS

Easter Eggers are not a recognized breed. They are mongrels or mutts - mixed breed chickens that do possess the blue egg gene, but don't fully meet the breed specifications of either Araucanas or Ameraucanas. They can come in any color or combination of colors and share these traits:

Any kind of comb

Muffs/beard/ear tufts or none

Any color earlobes

Tail or tail-less

Any color legs

Any color foot bottoms

Can lay blue but also sometimes lay green, tan, pink or even yellow

So if you want to be guaranteed blue egg layers, you will want to raise some Araucanas or Ameraucanas; otherwise Easter Eggers are always fun because you never know what color egg each will lay until she starts laying, and even identical-looking hens often lay varying shades of bluish or greenish eggs.

Bonniebooboo and bazil323 like this.
  4. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Easter eggers.
    EEs are actually known for green/olive legs.
    Ameraucana should have slate colored legs.

bazil323 likes this.
  5. bazil323

bazil323 In the Brooder

May 7, 2018
    Cameron, WI
    No it was from a local woman. I got the impression she orders chicks to raise as started pullets and sell, but I'm not 100% sure. I know she has a business of selling young chickens and eggs. The other pullets I got from her are gorgeous and definitely the breeds I bought (Welsummer, cuckoo Marans, gold laced Wyandotte, and blue laced red Wyandotte).

Thank you for the reading material. I will go over that before trying to buy again.

6. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Crowing

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    Truly, there is nothing wrong with easter eggers. I have two, and one is laying. She lays beautiful mint green eggs, and she's really pretty. Our other one, when she grows up, should lay nice blue ones. You can get all types.

7. bazil323

bazil323 In the Brooder

May 7, 2018
    Cameron, WI
    I'm hoping they are blue or green egg layers, but I'm not picky. They are truly beautiful birds, and the beards crack me up. :) I'm thinking I will look on the Ameraucana association website for breeders local to me for adding to the flock for next year or even in the later summer/fall because I do like having quite a variety in the flock. I'm just a researcher, and I like to have my facts straight as much as I can. Nerd is me lol.

Bonniebooboo and Frazzemrat1 like this.
  8. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Crowing

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    My older EE is clean, no beard or muffs, so very teeny ears and no wattles. She's very pretty. The younger is a Lavendar Ameraucana (that's a tip too, a breeder will tell you what color and breed you are getting) crossed with a black breasted red Araucana. She's full muffs and beard.... so adorable. I also have a clean faced white Araucana. She's so cute w/her lack of booty.

Bonniebooboo and bazil323 like this.
  9. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! And Nuts For Horses!

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    Easter Egger

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: