Easter Eggers or Americaunas

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by StaciaZ, Apr 18, 2012.

1. StaciaZ

StaciaZ New Egg

Mar 7, 2012
    Des Moines, IA
    Hi everyone! I'm a new backyard chicken keeper with a brooder full of babies! I'm looking for a little help identifying two of them. (Perhaps it's too early to tell.)

The guy at the feed store told me that these two were Americaunas/Easter Eggers. He used the two names interchangably as if they were the same thing. They have long down feathers so they look pretty fuzzy and they have really puffy feathers on their cheeks.

Any idea which they might be?[​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    :frow Welcome to the forum! :frow Glad your joined us! :frow

If they are from a feed store and the names were used interchangably, then they are almost certainly Easter Eggers.

As far as I am concerned it is too early to tell for sure by looking at photos of the chicks, but you might look at this comparison for yourself. I just wish they had not gone out of the way to make it even more confusing by using the term Americana (notice the i) as different from Ameraucana (notice the au). Some people just seem to enjoy making things more confusing than they have to.

EE/Ameraucana/Araucana comparison
    http://apa-abayouthpoultryclub.org/Edu_Material/Easter Eggers vs.pdf

3. kreagerm

kreagerm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    They look like the Easter Eggers I have right now that are a week old. Take a look at the legs from the pic they look to be the correct greenish tint rather then pink.

4. StaciaZ

StaciaZ New Egg

Mar 7, 2012
    Des Moines, IA
    Thanks for clarifying. I didn't realize that Americanas and Ameraucanas were two different things. I've probably got Easter Eggers then. They sure are cute little mutts!

And thanks for welcoming me to the forum! I've been lurking and learning for a while. [​IMG]

5. singleton

singleton Just Hatched

Apr 4, 2012
    Hi there! I am new to raising chickens myself and I have 3 Easter Eggers that look EXACTLY like your chicks do...so, in agreement with everyone else above, I'd say they are Easter Eggers!

You can check out pics of our chicks on our blog: http://jjsnest.blogspot.com/

Good luck with your chicks!

:)

6. Vickilynn45

Vickilynn45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012
    I'm new to this whole chicken thing and was wondering about ours as well- we only have one but she looks just like yours. They told us it was an Ameraucana at the store. They said we would have blue and green eggs, I'm guessing that is an Easter Egger?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by