Easter eggers or something else?

Mamahenof3

Chirping
Jun 1, 2020
So let me start by saying i know there are no "typical" easter eggers... that being said my "easter eggers" seem to lean toward the less common features. No beards or muffs, yellow legs, single combs (i think). Do you think they could be something else?
Also i know there is no surefire way to know what color they will lay until they lay, but based on features whats your best guess?
Does anyone have girls that looked like mine at 3 weeks and turned out to lay lovely green eggs?

Attachments

• 20210331_100431.jpg
    20210331_100431.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210331_100502.jpg
    20210331_100502.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210331_100437.jpg
    20210331_100437.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210331_095447.jpg
    20210331_095447.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 20
Where did you get them?

There sort of are "typical" appearances for EEs. Technically while any mutt that lays green eggs can accurately be classified as an EE, every chick I've ever seen or gotten from a hatchery or store that's an EE has puffy checks, but beard is not always present.

I've bred a mutt rooster (with Dominique heritage) to my EEs and the resulting chicks didn't have muffs and beards, but they still laid eggs that looked like the moms. They would still be referred to as EEs.

Where did you get them?

There sort of are "typical" appearances for EEs. Technically while any mutt that lays green eggs can accurately be classified as an EE, every chick I've ever seen or gotten from a hatchery or store that's an EE has puffy checks, but beard is not always present.

I've bred a mutt rooster (with Dominique heritage) to my EEs and the resulting chicks didn't have muffs and beards, but they still laid eggs that looked like the moms. They would still be referred to as EEs.
I got them from contry max, a feed store in our area....
I know when we first got them i was like no beard or muffs... oh well... then i checked out their leg color and said.... well COULD be still EE... now their combs are really looking like single combs.... so thats why i posted.
Ive read that SOMETIMES they can have other combs, or no muffs, or yellow legs.... but it seems like my girls are all on the outside of "normal" EE.
So is started looking some other breeds up but not sure if they fit with those.(ie wellsummers...?)

I got them from contry max, a feed store in our area....
I know when we first got them i was like no beard or muffs... oh well... then i checked out their leg color and said.... well COULD be still EE... now their combs are really looking like single combs.... so thats why i posted.
Ive read that SOMETIMES they can have other combs, or no muffs, or yellow legs.... but it seems like my girls are all on the outside of "normal" EE.
So is started looking some other breeds up but not sure if they fit with those.(ie wellsummers...?)
They could be a hatchery's own version of a colored egg layer. I know there are Green Queens, and other types that are muffless. I wonder if that's what they have going on? I'd love to know what they will lay, too! I bet it will still be a green egg.

They could be a hatchery's own version of a colored egg layer. I know there are Green Queens, and other types that are muffless. I wonder if that's what they have going on? I'd love to know what they will lay, too! I bet it will still be a green egg.
I sure hope so! Ill try and keep the thread updated as they grow

It will be interesting to see what they lay!

interesting that all three things one looks for in the EE range for ID is missing: they don’t have willow green legs, they don’t have typical pea comb, they don’t have muffs or beards!

We have some EE that don’t conform to all these, but they seem to all have one of the three ID pieces.

we have a couple mixed chicks we hatched last year- we know dad was a BJG, but not sure who moms were. Both are all black..one has black beard and muffs (so EE mom?) and other has no muffs or beard. Likely lay a brown egg since I’ve heard egg color comes from dad...but I’m no expert on the genetics.

It will be interesting to see what they lay!

interesting that all three things one looks for in the EE range for ID is missing: they don’t have willow green legs, they don’t have typical pea comb, they don’t have muffs or beards!

We have some EE that don’t conform to all these, but they seem to all have one of the three ID pieces.

we have a couple mixed chicks we hatched last year- we know dad was a BJG, but not sure who moms were. Both are all black..one has black beard and muffs (so EE mom?) and other has no muffs or beard. Likely lay a brown egg since I’ve heard egg color comes from dad...but I’m no expert on the genetics.
This gal lays green eggs and is a mix from a dominque rooster mutt and an EE. By all intents and purposes she’s an EE, but she doesn’t have a single indicator that she would be an EE. Pink feet, cushion comb, no beard or muffs. Her sister looks just like her but did inherit the pea comb.

Attachments

• CEBAD478-D03A-4F62-A9C3-E1A80E2F9014.jpeg
    CEBAD478-D03A-4F62-A9C3-E1A80E2F9014.jpeg
    726.2 KB · Views: 19
This gal lays green eggs and is a mix from a dominque rooster mutt and an EE. By all intents and purposes she’s an EE, but she doesn’t have a single indicator that she would be an EE. Pink feet, cushion comb, no beard or muffs. Her sister looks just like her but did inherit the pea comb.
Interesting! I’ve seen a few pics on BYC of white EE (no beard/muffs). Interesting she lays green, as Dominique lay brown (I think). But, that’s where green comes from I guess - a blue egg with brown “paint”. I think olive eggs require the dark brown that comes from Marans.

Back
Top Bottom