1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Easter Eggers Roo or Hen???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cviegra, Aug 2, 2014.

1. cviegra

cviegra Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2014
    Eastern NC
    I posted about 6 weeks ago and everyone thought we had pullets then, now I am beginning to see some changes like deep red colors popping up so I am wondering if they are in fact pullets or roos. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the bad pictures but we have had nothing but rain for the last week with another week of rain coming. Sorry the pictures are jumbled but having computer issues.

This black and white one has started to develop the red as you can see on his breast but I do not see any on the side in the other picture below - Blacky
    [​IMG]
    This one also has a red breast and the shoulders have a red tint to them. - Fiesty
    [​IMG]
    Fiesty
    [​IMG]
    Blacky
    [​IMG]
    I think this white one is also a hen. - Snow
    [​IMG]
    Fiesty
    [​IMG]
    This one I still believe is a hen - Lion (kids names her)
    [​IMG]
    Snow
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    All are pullets.

3. Griffinsong

Griffinsong Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    ^Agree, none of them have the really telltale deep red shoulders. A salmon breast can be on females, too.

4. cviegra

Jun 20, 2014
    Eastern NC
    Thanks, everyone local keeps telling me that they think Fiesty is a Roo because the salmon color is getting darker on him. That is why I wanted to double check. Thanks for your replies!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    At this age a cockerel would have pointy, elongated hackle, saddle, and sickle feathers.

6. cviegra

Jun 20, 2014
    Eastern NC
    This is our first flock of chickens and we have a very mixed group we bought from a TSC so I am still trying to learn as much as I can to understand what I am doing and know more about the birds we have. Thanks Again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by